Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.elctruk.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri Motor AWD w/FSD
Country flag
Link in the original post. Tesla is required by law to submit VIN decoder info within 60 days from initial sales. This was posted to the NHTSA by Tesla on 8/23/2023, but just finally showed up on the public database today. I've been checking regularly in anticipation.
Good Work 👍
Sponsored

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Its just that the 500-mile tri-motor was to be the flagship trim, and you are saying that Tesla is ditching the flagship trim, and they have never done that before to my knowledge.
They have done this in the past. They cancelled the 500-mile Tesla Model S Plaid+ as an example.

Also, what they launch with does not mean they will not eventually have a version. They normally launch with a subset of features they announced and then slowly add models over time.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
They have done this in the past. They cancelled the 500-mile Tesla Model S Plaid+ as an example.

Also, what they launch with does not mean they will not eventually have a version. They normally launch with a subset of features they announced and then slowly add models over time.
Yes, I understand that they add and remove trims all the time, and yes they did remove the Model S-Plaid+, but they did not remove the Model S/X/3/Y AWD *LR*. They have always had an LR model for each of their models that had a dramatically larger range. If I believe @cvalue13 then that trim is gone for the foreseeable future (he said at least through 2024). That would suck in my view.

In fact I do not want to resurrect this discussion. I prefer to live in ignorance until my number comes up hopefully by this time next year and then I can decide, but to accept this, now, is very depressing for me. No one else here seems to care.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So after comparing the VIN photo with the VIN Digit decoder I get:

Dual motor is the heavier H class, which means the extra weight class is not for the TM, and the pack with the DM and the TM can't be too different at all without negatively affecting payload. Remember TM had the highest tow rating as well.

Also the 5th digit says LHD for left hand drive. That would mean a RHD is coming for us here right? Am I right mate? Yeana? ;) ;)

Seeing it passed the bulletproof test, I'm calling shots on the name Cyber Kelly for my plates!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck VIN decoder! -- GVWR Vehicle Weight Revealed + **only** Dual and Tri Motor for 2024 1697823540547

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
Yes, I understand that they add and remove trims all the time, and yes they did remove the Model S-Plaid+, but they did not remove the Model S/X/3/Y AWD *LR*. They have always had an LR model for each of their models that had a dramatically larger range. If I believe @cvalue13 then that trim is gone for the foreseeable future (he said at least through 2024). That would suck in my view.

In fact I do not want to resurrect this discussion. I prefer to live in ignorance until my number comes up hopefully by this time next year and then I can decide, but to accept this, now, is very depressing for me. No one else here seems to care.
I don't post much but range is definitely my number one concern. I live in the Front Range of Colorado and traveling to go skiing in the winter and/or climbing in the summer would be immensely easier if I did not have to plan in stops at chargers. Especially because the chargers that do exist are not always on route (depending on destination of course). I generally drive between 120-160 miles one way to go skiing and anything less than 300+- real, usable winter miles over mountainous terrain would make the Cybertruck much less practical for me on the weekends or for day trips. All this to say that you are not alone in being concerned about the final range specs.

SKUUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
As discussed, FSD is software and does not factor into the federal tax credit.
Is this true?? I hadn't read this anywhere and always assumed that the full and final sale price is what the credit is based on. That would be awesome, assuming the rebate is still available when my number comes up... I should be locked in at the $7k or $8k price that FSD was at the time, and a potential rebate would roughly cover the truck's sales tax (y)(y)

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag

The best 2 models for the Cybertruck will be the Dual Motor LR and Single Motor LR. Won't happens for YEARS, but once they get through all of us diehards and all the reservation holders, I could see them producing those for a killer deal. Problem is, we won't see it for probably 5-10 years, lol

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Tesla needs to use the CyberTruck to release subscription based FSD per user. That way I can buy this damn thing and get the tax benefit and still get FSD on the side after the initial purchase.
I have mentioned this before but I wish they would allow a 30-90day after CT purchase to exercise the reserve locked FSD price. This could allow a sub $80k truck but with the availability of FSD without a penalty. Now this does present one small problem though of not being able to roll the FSD costs into the original loan but I still think its a fair option to allow for.

Trbizwiz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 RWD, Dodge Challenger
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag

The quad motor talk came in when Rivian talked about their quad motor, and showed it do a tank turn. I think Tesla did not want to be out done by Rivian. Then Rivian never enabled the tank turn, because it would be disastrous for the environment. I am guessing Tesla figured out they can make a ridiculously powerful truck with their plaid powertrane, so they scrapped the quad motor for now. I doubt it would be a huge engineering feat to add it back in, in the future, if it were necessary to go 0-60 in under 2 seconds though.

SKUUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
I don't post much but range is definitely my number one concern. I live in the Front Range of Colorado and traveling to go skiing in the winter and/or climbing in the summer would be immensely easier if I did not have to plan in stops at chargers. Especially because the chargers that do exist are not always on route (depending on destination of course). I generally drive between 120-160 miles one way to go skiing and anything less than 300+- real, usable winter miles over mountainous terrain would make the Cybertruck much less practical for me on the weekends or for day trips. All this to say that you are not alone in being concerned about the final range specs.

Agreed, and same boat here. 500 range is a must and likely a deal breaker without it. 400 likely still would not be good enough if you have a truck camper or trailer on the back, in mountainous terrain with cold weather. The only thing that would make up for a non-500-mile truck would be built-in solar that is either cheap or included in the price, IMO.

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
This is a big development. Nice work @Throwcomputer

So what happens to the single motor reservations? Will they get the same configuration email from Tesla with the option to switch to a dual or tri?

If a segment of the reservation pool is now forced to either upgrade or continue waiting, it seems like those with existing dual or tri reservations should receive them quicker, no?

fishtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Silverado
Country flag
I think others have said this in older threads, but the $100 reservation that we all put down and selected our trim (# of motors) level was really just a survey for Tesla. When your reservation comes up you'll be able to select what you want at that time.

fishtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Silverado
Country flag
Agreed, and same boat here. 500 range is a must and likely a deal breaker without it. 400 likely still would not be good enough if you have a truck camper or trailer on the back, in mountainous terrain with cold weather. The only thing that would make up for a non-500-mile truck would be built-in solar that is either cheap or included in the price, IMO.
Yup same thing here, I'm in Nebraska and routinely drive (non interstate) into the middle of the state and back to Omaha in a day. In winter when pulling a trailer when there are no super chargers on the route having the longer range would really help!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I've never heard of BEV and Dry Weight. Perhaps when batteries are Solid-state batteries /s
Dry means no fluids, which is more important with ICE power and its fuel and oil... but you can have other fluids like coolant, brake; or be like an RV or limo with water and waste.

Is this true?? I hadn't read this anywhere and always assumed that the full and final sale price is what the credit is based on. That would be awesome, ...
Yes, it says this on the Tesla website when you price a vehicle eligible for the credit.

-Crissa

KScheidt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KirkScheidt.com
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
Risk Analyst
Country flag
Yup same thing here, I'm in Nebraska and routinely drive (non interstate) into the middle of the state and back to Omaha in a day. In winter when pulling a trailer when there are no super chargers on the route having the longer range would really help!
It will also help with degradation over time. I'd like to get several years of use out of the CT and would be willing to pay a significant premium for additional range as insurance for this.
Sponsored