Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Yeah, you got that right. $30 oil changes don't exist when you are changing out 14 quarts! Two of those oil changes and $1,400 for a water pump in that last year of ownership made me finally move from diesel. To be fair, I'm in an F150 now but when the diesel got up to $1,800 a year in maintenance costs, it became hard to justify a diesel for the little towing I was doing (we had already sold the camper by this point and this was BEFORE diesel fuel went nuts). I've had the F150 for a little over a year now and am biding my time... Come on, Cybertruck!
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
people that want trucks get trucks. people that want cars don't get trucks.
As profound as it sounds, things are more complicated than that. There is always an inner conflict between wanting to be sensible and wanting to fit in. I was not born in this country and don't even live in Texas but still feel like there is something un-American about not driving a big ass truck. Besides driving a big truck is like packing heat in the old west. If you are the only one in the saloon not doing it, you are asking for a whole lotta hurtin. Some try to get Smart resolving that inner conflict ;)

Tesla Cybertruck Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch? 1670442718806

Let’s all remember what Teslas mission statement is…
“Accelerating the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy”.

In no way is pricing the starting line up CT at $75k+ a smart idea to obtain market share away from Ford, GM and Stellantis.
I have no clue what the pricing will be but keep in mind, R1T dual motor is starting at $73K (may be more when it hits the market).

Not sure how you connect the mission statement to market share. Mission statement can be accomplished by Tesla losing market share while selling more EVs each year at maximum profit margin. There is no sense pricing any product less than what market is willing to pay. We don't seem to run out of people willing to pay a lot for big trucks and for Tesla. For a Tesla truck? Tesla can get away with a lot. The question is if the value of reservation holders to the company is a factor in deciding how much profit margin is acceptable.

Last edited:

Horizonvangogh

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Owner of Future Detail
Country flag
As profound as it sounds, things are more complicated than that. There is always an inner conflict between wanting to be sensible and wanting to fit in. I was not born in this country and don't even live in Texas but still feel like there is something un-American about not driving a big ass truck. Besides driving a big truck is like packing heat in the old west. If you are the only one in the saloon not doing it, you are asking for a whole lotta hurtin. Some try to get Smart resolving that inner conflict ;)

1670442718806.png

I have no clue what the pricing will be but keep in mind, R1T dual motor is starting at $73K (may be more when it hits the market).

Not sure how you connect the mission statement to market share. Mission statement can be accomplished by Tesla losing market share while selling more EVs each year at maximum profit margin. There is no sense pricing any product less than what market is willing to pay. We don't seem to run out of people willing to pay a lot for big trucks and for Tesla. For a Tesla truck? Tesla can get away with a lot. The question is if the value of reservation holders to the company is a factor in deciding how much profit margin is acceptable.
I personally don’t think Rivian R1T is a direct competitor in Teslas eyes as the R1T is low to medium volume. Rivian will never sell/manufacture the same units as what CT intends to.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Let’s all remember what Teslas mission statement is…

“Accelerating the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy”.

In no way is pricing the starting line up CT at $75k+ a smart idea to obtain market share away from Ford, GM and Stellantis. I agree it will not be $40k because a single motor variant will not be available at launch. However I think the sweet spot is $64-$69k for dual motor.

of course it is. They are supply constrained not demand. Maximizing profit to build more trucks at lower cost In the future, does exactly what the mission statement claims they focused on. They have two years worth of $100k+ trucks to build an they will sell them all

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I personally don’t think Rivian R1T is a direct competitor in Teslas eyes as the R1T is low to medium volume. Rivian will never sell/manufacture the same units as what CT intends to.
I agree about the volume but consumer does not care about that. Tesla, Ford and GM all priced their lower trim $40K regardless of their capacity to produce because of how consumer see the options.

I also believe Teslas long term goal on CT margin is 50%
Hi margine or low price? you have to pick one. As good as Tesla is in manufacturing and keeping the cost low, it is not free to build.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I agree about the volume but consumer does not care about that.
I believe it's the opposite; they care very much. One of the common fears I hear about EVs is the perceived reduced ability to get them serviced and supported. At least Tesla has an established service system; Rivian does not. A couple of friends bought the F150 Lightning mostly because of the perceived "better" dealer network than Rivian. Consumers generally also have a bovine mentality which is why companies pay for product placements in TV shows. For many people, seeing everyone else doing something makes them want to also. Or at least, subliminally justifies what they want.

The only Rivian SC in Phoenix is WAY outside the main part of the city, and pretty small. I went by at 4pm and nobody was around, doors locked. Weird.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
1) What slang. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. There is no red exclamation anywhere I can see.
2) There was no slang in the deleted post. It was math. All I did was point out that going from $49.9k to $75k is infact a 50% increase.

The post was active for long enough for others to see it and the person I was replying to even retracted his statement based on it. I could understand the "eaten" part if it just never got posted after I hit enter, but that is not the case. It was there. It was viewed. Now it's gone.
1) I don't bother to remember that stuff. I have too much rattling around in my brain. I can DM you if I see it in the future, tho? It's really easy to not know connotations and step on someone else's feelings.

2) Like I said, sometimes things get eaten. And sometimes things get throw out, the good with the bad.

🤷‍♀️

I say it's best to trust the administrator's judgement, it's their site after all. They have to make sure they don't encourage toxic posts to feel comfortable and post even more toxic things. It really happens. If you think you know how bad it can get, imagine there's something beyond that - the internet will find it. It's a tough job.

-Crissa

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe it's the opposite; they care very much. One of the common fears I hear about EVs is the perceived reduced ability to get them serviced and supported. At least Tesla has an established service system; Rivian does not. A couple of friends bought the F150 Lightning mostly because of the perceived "better" dealer network than Rivian. Consumers generally also have a bovine mentality which is why companies pay for product placements in TV shows. For many people, seeing everyone else doing something makes them want to also. Or at least, subliminally justifies what they want.

The only Rivian SC in Phoenix is WAY outside the main part of the city, and pretty small. I went by at 4pm and nobody was around, doors locked. Weird.
Most customers need only one truck. What I meant was all other things being equal consumer look at the value. Rivian problem you mentioned is not particularly about volume. It is about the risk and inconvenience associated with a new company. Hummer is a low volume truck as well. Once the dealer shake out is over, people won't have as much of service concern about Hummer as they do about R1T.

Edit: Let me put it this way, if there were 5,000,000 CTs on U.S. roads priced at $500,000 a piece with service centers everywhere. And R1T priced at $90K with the same service situation as today, which one would you pick? Value matters. Service is just one factor in calculating what that value is. I just disagree with the assumption that higher efficiency in production and higher volume will automatically translate to better value for consumer. It certainly can, but there is no guarantee it will. If competition can not compete well, it could simply mean higher margins for Tesla. If they can compete well, we will have a better chance of getting more value from any of them.

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
1) I don't bother to remember that stuff. I have too much rattling around in my brain. I can DM you if I see it in the future, tho? It's really easy to not know connotations and step on someone else's feelings.

2) Like I said, sometimes things get eaten. And sometimes things get throw out, the good with the bad.

🤷‍♀️

I say it's best to trust the administrator's judgement, it's their site after all. They have to make sure they don't encourage toxic posts to feel comfortable and post even more toxic things. It really happens. If you think you know how bad it can get, imagine there's something beyond that - the internet will find it. It's a tough job.

-Crissa
DM all you want. I very seriously doubt you'll ever have to.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
My guess is that Elon‘s directive to his design and engineering team were to keep the CT part numbers low, ensure the specs are best in class and make it easy to manufacture.
That has been the game plan on every Tesla model ever developed and is one reason Tesla is so successful as an auto company.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cybertruck will probably be more than the original pricing. But it will also be a better truck than the one revealed.

I mean, the reveal truck was really bare bones without mirrors and no big-ass wiper either. ;)

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In fact, if they advertised super great prices, then later changed them to less than spectacular prices, I'll be disappointed, and I'd expect at least some people calling foul.
People will call foul no matter what the pricing is. If it's too high they will cry foul. You might not think people would cry foul if it's too low, but this is Tesla we are talking about. Of course, they would!

They would claim Tesla was selling it below the cost to produce to try to put Ford and GM out of business. Predatory pricing, they would cry! Never mind that they don't let out a peep when Ford sells their EV's below the cost to produce. Never mind that just about every non-Tesla EV you can buy in the US and Europe is sold either under the cost to produce or just above break-even.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or they (me) need a truck for when we need a truck and don't want to waste money & planetary resources purchasing a second vehicle. I can buy a lot of gas for the purchase cost and insurance of a second daily driver vehicle that would still cost me something to drive (electric or gas).
Yes my truck gets crap milage, but no additional energy was used or resources depleted just to have second car.
People who say they could buy a lot of gas for their gas truck for the price difference don't understand how much better electric vehicles are. For most of us, it's not about saving on gas, it's about having that smooth torque and road-hugging center of gravity. And the convenience of not having to constantly visit gas stations is worth a lot more (at least to me) than cost of the gas. Time is money and gas cars tend to waste a lot of time. I could never go back, heck, I don't even drive my F-150 right now (unless I absolutely have to) and it's always sitting right there, ready to go.
Sponsored