Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This whole thread is depressing. I’m fairly certain I’m priced out of the vehicle at this point.
Wait...you've had two additional years to save up and you still think it's out of reach? I would suggest you shouldn't listen to people predicting crazy prices in the 6 digits.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Silverado work truck is priced at 74,800
Rivian R1t starts at 73,000
F-150 Lightning starts at 51,974.
Go try and buy any of those options for the price listed and get back to me with what you learned.

I'm not psychic but I'm going to guess you come up empty-handed!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My point was that Tesla can make the Dual Motor with 500 miles of range and 14k of towing. If only three motors can haul 82k lbs (Semi) the only reason to put three motors in a pickup truck would be to compensate for the owner's shortcomings elsewhere.

I too want all the range I can get and as much towing as the CyberTruck can stop. Adding a 3rd motor would only reduce the available payload by the weight of a motor and gearbox. 👍🏽
The biggest advantage of the tri-motor (other than 500 miles of range) is the exceptional control of power delivery when you have a motor for each rear wheel. This makes it so far superior to a limited slip differential and a full-locking rear differential it's not even a fair contest. It can also be used for torque vectoring on or off road and makes regen braking on ice more capable and controllable. Acceleration and control on loose surfaces is greatly enhanced, including climb ability off-road. If a quad motor is available, it offers all that on the front axle as well.

Compensating for the short-coming of the owner is not a characteristic of the truck, it's specific to the owner because the advantages of wheels with their own dedicated motor are real and very substantial. It depends upon what one wants the truck to do.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Silverado work truck is priced at 74,800
Rivian R1t starts at 73,000
F-150 Lightning starts at 51,974.

Chevy Silverado EV priced at $74,800. Based on GM/Chevy's previous history I would not expect any volume of shipments before 2025.

Rivian R1t starts at $73,000. 5-seater, very short bed, range approx 300mi?

Ford F-150 Lightning starts at 51,974. 5-seater

Important to note about the Ford F-150 Lightning Electric.
The base model called "Lightning Pro" that starts at $51,974, only seats 5 and only includes a 240 miles range battery. F-150 Lightning Pro does have an option for the maximum extended-range battery (320 miles), but this option is only available to fleet buyers ( NOT retail buyers) of $51,974 Lightning Pro.

For retail buyers wanting 320 mi range the lowest price is the 5-seater F-150 Lightning XLT, option Equipment Group 312A High (required before 320mi battery), option extended-range 320mi battery, manufacturer's destination charge, is price $82,769 BEFORE dealer markup of $$$$$.

A 6-seater, dual motor, 300mi range, Cybertruck even if priced increased from original 2019 price of $50K to even a new hypothetical 2023 high price of $70K and supported by an excellent DC fast charging network would still be much better value than the Ford F-150 Lightning with it's unreliable charging network. (I don't really think dual motor Cybertruck will be as high as $70K.)

------------------------------------------

The 2023 Ford Lighting Pro Is Way More Expensive Than It Used to Be It's $12,000 more than it was at launch.
The Ford F-150 Lightning Pro used to be a surprisingly affordable pickup, but recent price hikes have turned it from affordable to merely "less expensive."
by News Editor Nick Yekikian
October 7th, 2022
https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-price-hike.html

2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Price
XLT All-Wheel Drive SuperCrew Cab 5.5 ft. box 145 in. WB
https://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?makeName=ford&modelName=f-150-lightning

Rivian R1T on Street Tires Went 60 Miles Farther in Our Highway Range Test That’s almost a 30 percent improvement over a previous truck wearing all-terrain tires.
Total 280 miles with all season tires vs previous test result 220mi with all-terrain tires.
By Dave VanderWerp
Published: Aug 18, 2022
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40908521/rivian-r1t-highway-range-test-tires/

* We tested a Rivian R1T in November 2021 that went 220 miles in our 75-mph highway-range test.

* Recently, we ran a second R1T, this one on 22-inch street tires versus the all-terrain tires on the previous truck, and it did 280 miles in the same test.

* That’s a gain of nearly 30 percent, and another reminder of how important tires are when it comes to EV range, as well as to other performance metrics.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I went from a four door wrangler that I put a skid of flooring into.... lumber..... casing.... home appliances ie dishwasher, range.... moved my kids..... I no longer have that wrangler and miss and have needed that ability since..... hence I'm getting a CT.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
People who say they could buy a lot of gas for their gas truck for the price difference don't understand how much better electric vehicles are. For most of us, it's not about saving on gas, it's about having that smooth torque and road-hugging center of gravity. And the convenience of not having to constantly visit gas stations is worth a lot more (at least to me) than cost of the gas. Time is money and gas cars tend to waste a lot of time. I could never go back, heck, I don't even drive my F-150 right now (unless I absolutely have to) and it's always sitting right there, ready to go.
For me it's not about getting something better. I'm content with the driving experience I have now.
I have no doubt that driving an EV is a better experience. But that experience comes at a price tag that I have not been willing to pay...yet.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I will be shocked if the Dual Motor MSRP comes in below the $71,500 Rivian R1T.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
For me it's not about getting something better. I'm content with the driving experience I have now.
I have no doubt that driving an EV is a better experience. But that experience comes at a price tag that I have not been willing to pay...yet.
If you are comfortable with what you are driving and you don’t need one, I would wait. Although prices have been going up lately and it makes you feel like you are going to lose if you don’t jump on it with inflation being what it is, the tech and infrastructure have been continuously improving and you make up for it that way by waiting.

Price tag difference may be more pronounced in some cases than others. Even though there has been price increases, there are F150 Lightning Pros on the road now that was purchased for $39K in 22. Over 2,000 Ib payload, over 7K towing, a moving generator, big Frunk, 0-60 around 4 seconds……. Even if you didn’t care about any of those capabilities, Googling ICE truck prices in 22 makes it a mighty compelling case. Hummer may not make as much financial sense for most. We will see where CT falls in that range. I am an EV virgin myself and nervous and uncomfortable about transition but I feel like, I don’t have too much time left to wait. Everyone’s circumstance is different.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hear what you are saying because I was the same way before I bought EV's. But then you learn what you don't know.

Yes, it can save you buying a new car in the same way that I didn't know how much better a fine single-malt was vs. bourbon. Now I have to spend damn near $100/bottle just to get something that doesn't taste like hillbilly swill. Sometimes ignorance is bliss (and can save you money).

Fortunately, with EV's, you can have your cake and eat it too!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Even though there has been price increases, there are F150 Lightning Pros on the road now that was purchased for $39K in 22. Over 2,000 Ib payload, over 7K towing, a moving generator, big Frunk, 0-60 around 4 seconds…….
Even when those mythical $40K Lightnings were supossedly "available", they were unobtanium. Ford sold very few of them, at a large loss, just to say they did it. It's not a reflection of what really exists in the real world.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've found that to be overblown after owning two Model 3's for over 4 years. You might have a parts delay regardless of the brand of your vehicle. Tesla can generally get what they need within a week or two (although longer delays are possible). I don't see it as a major differentiator.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I will be shocked if the Dual Motor MSRP comes in below the $71,500 Rivian R1T.
If it doesn't, Tesla is going to have some seriously disappointing days in the market. The dual motor Cybertruck was promised below the dual-motor Model Y.

Cybertruck is designed to compete with traditional trucks, not lifestyler models.

-Crissa
Sponsored