Midgate. Useful or useless?

• Total voters

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Also, full sized 6 foot bed trucks are typically body-on-frame design with the bed and the cab being separate pieces. I'm not saying impossible, but very unlikely they'd try to design a midgate in that case.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Also, full sized 6 foot bed trucks are typically body-on-frame design with the bed and the cab being separate pieces. I'm not saying impossible, but very unlikely they'd try to design a midgate in that case.
Tesla is essentially unibody, but they’ve built the passenger cage separate from the vault. I think this was deliberate for safety. Having that secure bulkhead between passengers and potentially 3,000 pounds of cargo is possibly why it wasn’t opened up.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
As far as I know, the only “truck-like-thing” which had a midgate prior to the Hummer was the Avalanche which was discontinued due to poor sales.

And the only reason the Avalanche had it was because (much like its cousin the EVilanche) it had a tiny bed. I don’t think any full sized trucks with 6+ foot beds have this. One vague comment by Elon and this lit up.
Is Hummer evilanch? Or silverado? Does Hummer have midgate too?
Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate Screenshot_20230315_224022_Chrome

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
Imo, once the bed shrank to the latest 4x6ish version (which is too small to sleep in for most guys, a definitely too small for a couple), the pass through ides kinda lost relevance. I always thought it’s main benefit would be to create a more van like space for camping. So in my brain, at this point a pass through would just add a lot of complexity, which tends to be inversely related to reliability.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
As far as I know, the only “truck-like-thing” which had a midgate prior to the Hummer was the Avalanche which was discontinued due to poor sales.

And the only reason the Avalanche had it was because (much like its cousin the EVilanche) it had a tiny bed. I don’t think any full sized trucks with 6+ foot beds have this.
And the Avalanche wasn’t even on the Silverado platform, as it was a modified Suburban (with its lesser payload/towing capacities).

GM had a midgate fetish for a while. In addition to the Avalanche and H2, there was a Cadillac version of the Avalanche and then the truly bizarre “XUV” GMC Envoy - basically an SUV that converted to a pickup (almost a better idea than the Avalanche).

The only non-GM I can think of is the Subaru Baja - actually a pretty cool little rig.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And the Avalanche wasn’t even on the Silverado platform, as it was a modified Suburban (with its lesser payload/towing capacities).

GM had a midgate fetish for a while. In addition to the Avalanche and H2, there was a Cadillac version of the Avalanche and then the truly bizarre “XUV” GMC Envoy - basically an SUV that converted to a pickup (almost a better idea than the Avalanche).

The only non-GM I can think of is the Subaru Baja - actually a pretty cool little rig.
All things with tiny truck beds.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
A few tangents in this long thread, trying to at least glance over most of the posts, but they were mostly interesting or entertaining. I think there will always be some use for a mid-gate at some point, but how often or little the use case applies, will depend on the person.

If the tambour tonneau cover rolled all the way down below bed level when opening, a pass-through hole or limited operation mid-gate might be possible. But I don't think that would be the case due to the lowest under floor level areas being taken by the battery pack.

Like @Ogre mentioned, a higher pass-through opening could possibly also be designed with sliding rear windows.

Both of these implementations would require the Tonneau Cover to Remain Open while the pass-through hole or opening is used, so no weather protection for long stock carried via the pass-through. Extra sensors, microswitches, or detection would be needed, to assure that the pass-through has no materials in it whenever the tonneau cover is eventually closed (more complexity).

We know Tesla is dealing with extra complexity just to include the tambour cover in the first place. Tesla doesn't like to integrate complexity with a feature unless they think it is very compelling or necessary (such as the Model X Falcon Wing Doors, or the Cybertruck Tonneau Cover).

The tambour tonneau cover is a unique and very appealing feature, but it does limit pass-through implementation for the above-mentioned reasons (physical space).

Two alternatives that might be possible and would not incur the above limitations, are either a well-designed roof rack, or even swing-down hangers underneath to carry long thin limited girth stock items such as pipe or trim pieces (but requiring the air suspension to remain higher while such underneath hangers are in use). Some type of end-guards or caps would also be needed in either of these external solutions, to assure long stock doesn't come loose as flying projectiles if the Cybertruck has to brake suddenly, or there at least needs to be a proven method for securing what's carried.

I personally like the roof rack option, due to less restrictions of length and girth.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Imo, once the bed shrank to the latest 4x6ish version (which is too small to sleep in for most guys, a definitely too small for a couple), the pass through ides kinda lost relevance. I always thought it’s main benefit would be to create a more van like space for camping. So in my brain, at this point a pass through would just add a lot of complexity, which tends to be inversely related to reliability.
There is no evidence the bed has 'shrunk', tho.

Depending upon how you measure, it has always been 6'6" or 6'.

Which has always been a bit tight for a bunk.

-Crissa

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
There is no evidence the bed has 'shrunk', tho.

Depending upon how you measure, it has always been 6'6" or 6'.

Which has always been a bit tight for a bunk.

-Crissa
The latest version is clearly smaller Crissa.