Midgate. Useful or useless?

• Total voters

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
If Tesla delivers a lineup that has the features they announced at launch and prices roughly inline with launch prices (inflation adjusted). Demand for the Cybertruck will be through the roof.

You seem to be assuming that either prices will be much higher than inflation, the features of the truck will not match launch, or both.

It is possible, but seems pretty unlikely they will miss on both. Tesla has a good track record of delivering on launch features. Also Muskā€˜s made comments on multiple occasions about how important affordability is in the truck so I donā€™t think they are going to miss on price by much either.
Interesting. Thx.
Cybertruck features
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Cybertruck
and here: https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/cybertruck
I guess big ones are suggested/known. Others have been added Quad-motors and Rear-Wheel Steering (after hummer and others said they had them).

a) Please note I made reference to all the features that the competitors are planning.
The details on many features of the Cybertruck seem very sparse. As an example, they showed you can charge a quad-runner in the bed. Pretty sparse on the outlets around the vehicle and their real kW outputs. Frunk features (size, outlets, etc) vs "mega frunks" in Ford, Chev, etc. Interior features are really unknown.

b) What do you think the prices will end up being in 2023? $69.9K --> $83K ??
$83K is SmartAsset number below for 2022 and then another year: $79574*104.45%
Here are the prices that where stated when they offered orders for $100.
Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate 3RCtcme

https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator#Tn1iJbZcxN
Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate WTFQSpm
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Iā€™m not sure what features you think are sparse. The important ones for trucks being bed size (6.5 ft), cargo capacity, towing capacity, vault cover etc are known and mostly better than Ford/ Silverado. Speed and range as well.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I voted no on the midgate because I doubt I will use it much if ever. It's not something I would seek out.

Yes I have slept in my trucks, both in the cab and in the bed. I have even slept under it, my wife teases me about it because I was working on it and fell asleep.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I voted no on the midgate because I doubt I will use it much if ever. It's not something I would seek out.

Yes I have slept in my trucks, both in the cab and in the bed. I have even slept under it, my wife teases me about it because I was working on it and fell asleep.
My brother would go skiing, he was too cheap to pay for a hotel so he would sleep under his truck the night before. He doesnā€™t do that anymoreā€¦ getting old changes your perspective on cheap.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Interesting. Thx.
Cybertruck features
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Cybertruck
and here: https://www.caranddriver.com/tesla/cybertruck
I guess big ones are suggested/known. Others have been added Quad-motors and Rear-Wheel Steering (after hummer and others said they had them).

a) Please note I made reference to all the features that the competitors are planning.
The details on many features of the Cybertruck seem very sparse. As an example, they showed you can charge a quad-runner in the bed. Pretty sparse on the outlets around the vehicle and their real kW outputs. Frunk features (size, outlets, etc) vs "mega frunks" in Ford, Chev, etc. Interior features are really unknown.

b) What do you think the prices will end up being in 2023? $69.9K --> $83K ??
$83K is SmartAsset number below for 2022 and then another year: $79574*104.45%
Here are the prices that where stated when they offered orders for $100.
3RCtcme.jpg

https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator#Tn1iJbZcxN
WTFQSpm.jpg
Remember, the truck is projected to only be 18 months late, not four and a half years. 18% inflation? O-o

-Crissa

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Unless I am misreading something that is a GM pattent.
Meaning they own the midgate patent concept. Right?
For the piece of glass to move down into the 'midgate' it all reads and looks to me.

"B60J1/1861 - Windows; Windscreens; Accessories therefor arranged at the vehicle rear movable for non-convertible vehicles, including vehicles with versatile load area where the window can slide vertically, e.g. into lower part of rear door before opening rear door"

Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate VS9lEnK

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Remember, the truck is projected to only be 18 months late, not four and a half years. 18% inflation? O-o -Crissa
Ahh ... so the $69,900 prices was for late 2021 pricing?
Below via: Reuters business autos-transportation article [url]
Musk introduced Cybertruck in a 2019 reveal where the vehicle's designer cracked the vehicle's supposedly unbreakable ā€œarmor glassā€ windows. The company has pushed back production timing three times since: from late 2021 to late 2022, then to early 2023 and most recently to the mid-2023 target for initial production. Nov 1, 2022
What is your guess on the price?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ahh ... so the $69,900 prices was for late 2021 pricing?
Below via: Reuters business autos-transportation article [url]

What is your guess on the price?
Iā€™ve suggested about $60k for the dual motor, just because Iā€™ve seen 18% price increases from Toyota and similar adjustments from other truck makers over the past few years. Considering Teslaā€™s battery costs have come down since launch due to government incentives (in addition to the consumer rebate) this seems quite attainable.

I have seen little that is super convincing that Tesla is going to sway very far from their original pricing. Inflation adjustment, very possible. Aside from that is a lot of just random guesswork.

ā€œTesla is Greedy!!ā€ Isnā€™t convincing.

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Demand is real. If no midgate, My dog, fur all of a husky, will be put in a dark chamber with no interaction ability to the cabin.

without the midgate, wifeā€™s car will be used to take him to the vet. (Not dealing with vacuuming)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Demand is real. If no midgate, My dog, fur all of a husky, will be put in a dark chamber with no interaction ability to the cabin.

without the midgate, wifeā€™s car will be used to take him to the vet. (Not dealing with vacuuming)
You can always mount lights on the dog travel crate.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

A roll down window or even a sliding window in the back should be good for this Iā€™d think?

In my book midgate is kind of meh but an openable window is quite appealing and common ubiquitous on trucks.

Last edited: