First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
....then what's the solution....? Total the car...??? :D
Do what my mom does, and sell every car that's gotten broken into? I don't know.

Very good considerations to point out. We may be finding that it's more preferable to Wrap the Cybertruck body than previously realized (even if just clear PPF). Otherwise thoughts of continual fingerprints on appliances like stainless steel refrigerators or stainless steel sinks come to mind, as well as these scratch situations you point out.
Some people just take their stainless and want to be spotless. I suppose next they'll want those antimicrobial coatings so mud just falls off, too!

-Crissa
Sponsored

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I wish Tesla would manufacture the Cybertruck in the #4 finish instead of the 2B. It would give the SS a much better appearance. If you placed two Cybertruck side my side, one in #4 and the other in 2B, I feel the vast majority of buyers would choose the #4 stainless finish.
Maybe there will be finish operations, sort of like car washes, but using sandpaper to create or restore the finish you've selected.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I had the privilege of viewing the Cybertruck in person when it was at the Peterson Museum. The 2B finish on the concept truck hood had huge swirl marks in it and all of the another panels showed cosmetic blemishes as well. I don’t know if switching to #4 brushed finish would help reduce visible marks or not. Maybe someone who works with SS can chime in.

Last edited:

Punk77

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, BMW X3
Occupation
Manufacturer
Country flag
I really hope it isn't 2B. I use tons of stainless and 2B always looks like crap. It scratches very very easily. We only use it when we know we will be powder coating the stainless. I sincerely hope its the #4 finish. That's what we use almost exclusively at my business and it holds up very well, even in a marine environment. Honestly, it's one of the main reasons I'm getting the Cybertruck. Have been using stainless for over 30 years and want my truck to match :)

Punk77

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, BMW X3
Occupation
Manufacturer
Country flag
I really hope it isn't 2B. I use tons of stainless and 2B always looks like crap. It scratches very very easily. We only use it when we know we will be powder coating the stainless. I sincerely hope its the #4 finish. That's what we use almost exclusively at my business and it holds up very well, even in a marine environment. Honestly, it's one of the main reasons I'm getting the Cybertruck. Have been using stainless for over 30 years and want my truck to match :)
Forgot to add that I hope OP didn't go to too much trouble getting the stainless. I could have just taken a few pics in the shop:)

Glad you posted it though, I sometimes forget most people don't look at stainless all day.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
When I viewed the CT in person I couldn’t help think how much better it would look if the SS had a #4 finish. PLEASE Elon, make the change on the production version.

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Forgot to add that I hope OP didn't go to too much trouble getting the stainless. I could have just taken a few pics in the shop:)

Glad you posted it though, I sometimes forget most people don't look at stainless all day.
We make high end car haulers. Lots of stainless steel used on them.

D8Rider

First Name
D8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3, CBTRK Reservation
Country flag
Personally I plan to go for a complete transparent wrap to protect the outside as well as the bed at the back. Will be a bit costly, but I will sleep better at night

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
$3.5k to PPF an entire Cybertruck?
Yeah I would say it'll probably cost somewhere around that figure. Personally I'm really not worried about scratches on my truck, little ones can be taken out and big ones just build character. I plan to be testing the offroading on some rocky hills that I go over in my jeep all the time, so I suspect that before long i'll have some scars show off on my Cybertruck.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I highly recommend the XPEL brand. I chose a partial front end install on both of our vehicles.

XPEL comes with a 10-year warranty and is self healing. I did a ton of homework before choosing a PPF brand. I think the Cybertruck would look great with the "Stealth" finish option. It has a matte finish instead of the standard gloss finish.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
What I am really scared of is, while parked somewhere, in a mall for instance, finding the car with a lot of scratches. Just because of stupid people trying to scratch "this new material" for fun :confused:
Yes, I have had the same thought. Never announce your product is scratch proof, the morons will take it as a challenge....

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Kinda reminds me of the scratch and sniff section of my favorite magazine...
?
Sponsored