Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Definitely they will bring some experience over from the Y line, but also, the factory itself has been operating for a while. Amenities are set up, Car parks , routines etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if newbies earmarked for the Cybertruck line are already being trained.

Getting all the pieces to work in synch will take time, not just the line, but also parts suppliers, delivery schedules, dispatch..al need to gear up and sync with the pace of growth.

I guess that is the real scaling issue, getting all those pieces in synch.
Sponsored

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
If only those walls could talk... Or tweet
The walls can’t, but the employees can. If they wanna be unemployed anyway.

It’s crazy how quickly it looks different :)

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Rear castings start in June, production in 2028 :p

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Starting production this month? Funny, Tesla hasn’t hired assembly line workers yet. We are months away from SOP.
Who said they haven't. Maybe the engineers are running the stations for the first 100 units. Pay some of the model y line workers to help out. Then hire the supervisors, let them run things until they get the feel for the job and know what to manage to, then hire the line workers as things start to ramp. Then add the second shift. This is the S curve.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Who said they haven't. Maybe the engineers are running the stations for the first 100 units. Pay some of the model y line workers to help out.
seems possible Tesla could even have a separate team that is specifically trained for starting new lines up, shaking them out, and transitioning the permanent line hires. for the first few months?

One way or the other, I just don’t see manpower being the limiting reagent to line start and shakeout.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
seems possible Tesla could even have a separate team that is specifically trained for starting new lines up, shaking them out, and transitioning the permanent line hires. for the first few months?

One way or the other, I just don’t see manpower being the limiting reagent to line start and shakeout.
teslabot……..

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I just hope they've planned some real 'solid' manufacturing steps to mitigate or eliminate rattles or noise from the Cybertruck body as much as possible. They did a fairly decent job on the Model 3/Y but small rattles have manifested for some owners.

I like what I've seen on the track at Fremont with the strips on the straight internal stretch to shake the suspension during testing. Tesla has also used the acronym as well ('NVH - Noise Vibration and Harshness') to emphasize they are giving specific attention to it in all their models.

I hope that additional testing which we've not seen, will have included things like mounting the CT chassis on a vibrating frame with options to induce shake or vibrations at different amplitudes and frequencies for thorough testing (some rattles or loose parts only vibrate at certain frequencies or resonance due to weight, how they're attached, etc.). While this test shaking or vibration is active, they could even put a set of enumerated specialized microphones or pickup transducers stuck along the interior surfaces, and collect data of any developing rattling sounds picked up during a test.

Another method of inducing vibrations to test for rattles, would employ the use of a powerful subwoofer with a variable frequency sub-bass tone generator. I saw a similar test already being promoted as an phone app, which included the tone generator and settings, designed to interface with your Tesla via Blue Tooth, and use it's sound-system subwoofer to generate the vibrations. Here is the video of someone using this app:

I was thinking about trying this in a Model 3, but I would want to make sure it is not harmful to the car's speakers. I'd personally rather use an externally powered subwoofer. I do think this idea has some merit due to my experience at many stop lights where an adjacent car has their subwoofer loud, but from the outside you hear all their car's rattles as a result.

There are quite a few videos out there posted by owners dealing with rattles in their Model 3 or Model Y. To be fair though, there has been a few years for these videos to get posted by now. But I hope there will be fewer such videos needing to be posted for the Cybertruck.

So hopefully Tesla will emphasize assembly methods to eliminate rattles from NVH.

If there are two things I'm very particular about, it's a solid build without rattles, and fit-finish workmanship. For being much newer to these challenges than legacy auto companies, I think Tesla has done pretty well, and also keeps improving from what I've seen.

- ÆCIII

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I didn't say that NVH was 'new' in the industry at all, but rather just said that Tesla as a company was newer than others, and I liked the fact that Tesla was giving attention to NVH. I was merely pointing out the emphasis I hope is being integrated in the Cybertruck model - because of the numerous video testimonials of what some Tesla Model 3 and Y owners have experienced with rattles. None of this is new to me, but possibly could be new to some beginning Tesla employees, which is why I hope Tesla emphasizes mitigation of NVH in their manufacturing and training.

- ÆCIII

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Who said they haven't. Maybe the engineers are running the stations for the first 100 units. Pay some of the model y line workers to help out. Then hire the supervisors, let them run things until they get the feel for the job and know what to manage to, then hire the line workers as things start to ramp. Then add the second shift. This is the S curve.
True. There is so much room inside the factory that they 'could' make Cybertrucks for a long time before anyone would notice - IF they could really keep the employees quiet. We have seen that some members have posted pictures taken inside the factory and there is probably more of that (taking pictures inside the factory) going on, so it is likely that the first time a Cybertruck is built we will see it.

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Those complaints are very old. We have never had any sound issues on either our 2019 LR Model 3 or our 2022 LR Model Y. I am personally tired of hearing the old complaints. The Cybertruck is a new manufacturing process and it will take Tesla a while to get them dialed in. There could be issues in the first batches but I suspect that by the time they get to mine those issues will be resolved :) There is always a price to be paid for being first in line, but people who want to be first in line have nothing to complain about because they get what they wanted - to be noticed.
Below are twenty videos posted about rattle problems with the Model 3 or Model Y.

These videos all were posted within the last year and there are actually more than this, so these "complaints are (Not) very old" at all.

It's great that in your ownership you're having no such issues, but I wouldn't assume that all other ownership experiences are exactly like your own.

NVH prevention measures do not need to be totally re-invented with each new model, as Tesla has had time to gain some real experience with it by now. My previous post was expressing hope that Tesla will thoroughly test their NVH mitigation measures as much as possible in the Cybertruck prior to production ramp up.

If one has the attitude that Tesla should leave it up to the early buyers to find such defects and rattles, then they should not be working at Tesla. Of course a small number of issues may elude pre-production testing, which is why I emphasized hope for thorough testing before production ramp in the first place. The aim is to mitigate or keep such issues away from the owner experience as much as possible.

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sure, the lower noice floor of an EV makes rattle prevention more important - and more difficult.

Duh.

To have the same ratio of videos to cars sold for any other brand you'd need... less than 2 videos about GM Bolts to every 20 videos about Tesla 3 and Y.

So no, this isn't evidence of any sort of manufacture problem.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Below are twenty videos posted about rattle problems with the Model 3 or Model Y.

These videos all were posted within the last year and there are actually more than this, so these "complaints are (Not) very old" at all.

It's great that in your ownership you're having no such issues, but I wouldn't assume that all other ownership experiences are exactly like your own.

NVH prevention measures do not need to be totally re-invented with each new model, as Tesla has had time to gain some real experience with it by now. My previous post was expressing hope that Tesla will thoroughly test their NVH mitigation measures as much as possible in the Cybertruck prior to production ramp up.

If one has the attitude that Tesla should leave it up to the early buyers to find such defects and rattles, then they should not be working at Tesla. Of course a small number of issues may elude pre-production testing, which is why I emphasized hope for thorough testing before production ramp in the first place. The aim is to mitigate or keep such issues away from the owner experience as much as possible.

- ÆCIII

In fact I do not know a single person that owns a Tesla that has had more issues than any other car, and much fewer in fact. But you have to ask yourself a serious question that you are pasting YouTube videos links knowing full well that YouTubers are sensationalists looking for clicks. Sorry but none of those are going to sway my opinion.
Sponsored