firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I’m seriously wondering if the Ramcharger is going to end up as the best all around EV-ish work truck.

Difficult to know what is best without knowing price for Ramcharger with 92kwh battery, 3.6-litre Pentastar petrol V6, and 130Kw electric generator AND, NO FRUNK.

Cost of 92kwh battery AND 3.6-litre Pentastar petrol V6 AND 130Kw electric generator seems likely to be expensive.

92kwh battery is not cheap.
130Kw electric generator is not cheap.

When Ramcharger actual ships I expect price to start at $90K+

----------------------------------

$31,900 2023 Cummins C60D6 Diesel Generator Set ( New )
New Cummins 60 kW standby (54 kW prime) diesel generator set
Model C60D6
Cummins 4BTAA3.3-G7 engine rated 99 HP at 1800 RPM
EPA Tier 3 emissions
1/60/120/240V Single phase (Single Phase Only)
UL 2200 listed package
Aluminum sound attenuated level 1 enclosure wind load 180 MPH
132 gallon UL142 regional sub-base fuel tank with secondary containment
Battery and start up not included
0 Hours. Year 2023.
Cummins 2 Yr 1000 Hr limited warranty
Overall dimensions 34W x 154L x 75H on 7H blocks
Weight: 3,200 lbs
https://midwest-generators.com/product/2023-cummins-c60d6-diesel-generator-set/

$32,000 2019 Generac MDG75DF4 60kW Portable Diesel Generator Set ( Used )
66kW standby, 60kW prime @ 3ph
60kW standby, 55kW prime @ 1ph
Multi-voltage (1 or 3ph), 60Hz, 1800rpm
Full electrical distribution
2006 original hours
Engine: John Deere 4045HF Diesel engine
Weight: 5,500 lbs
https://midwest-generators.com/product/2019-generac-mdg75df4-60kw-portable-diesel-generator-set/

Sponsored

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
Some nuance, the Ford ProPower is divided between three inverters, a pair of 3.6kW per phase that adds up to the L14-30r 220-240@30Amps is 7.2kW from the bed. and then a 2.4kW inverter that services the cab and frunk.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, I'm on page 2/19 thus far. I have used the Lightning ProPower to charge three other BEVs at a car show, it's one of my favorite features. If the CyberTruck is truly a 14-50r with 12kW that will be awesome, only wish the plug and socket were a twist lock type to prevent accidental unplugging under load which would be "exciting" and undesirable.
A 14-50 plug will only be rated for 40amp continuous. That means it's unlikely that the inverter will be 12kW rating. But total power may be 12kW including 120v sockets.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Pull a 7000lb box

500 mile range to allow for reduction when towing

I must have

Can fit in a garage or shopping car park easier? Unexpected bonus.

Some people wanted 6 seats etc, and I understand genuine disappointment, it has to meet genuine needs.

ςyb3®tЯμ¢kℓ|gh†n!ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger
Country flag
Aside:

I think you are underestimating how powerful these modern electric motors are these days.

The Tesla Plaid battery is 100 kWh and can drive 761 kW at full launch (divided by 3 = 253.67 kW per motor). One of those motors (~250 kW) can pull a Tesla Semi Truck with 82000 lb payload down the highway (per presentations by Elon). Can the RamCharger front motor of 250 kW pull that much with the right gearing? Very likely!

We don't know all the details of the RamCharger but it has a peak 190 kW generator and normal 130 kW. I don't think we know and maybe they haven't tested in the real-world yet what the edge cases are. One ~plaid motor in the Semi can pull a payload 6 times the 13000 you mentioned tho. It has been standard forever to do load test up hills/mountains.

You are right that the clearly say "The generator can also increase the power to the motor and gearbox when serious power is needed" but we don't know what 'serious' power is. Is it passing cars while pulling a trailer? Getting on a highway onramp and needing to accelerate from 40 to 70 MPH while pulling a trailer? Wait and see. Based on my Tesla examples the battery can drive powerful motors by themselves (for X amount of time).

See this post for a Tesla Model X pulling a trailer with a car beating a car :)
I'm not underestimating at all, just questioning the need(if there is a need) to have to go to a charging station and a gas station every trip I take while towing. Side note, apparently the RamRev will also have a higher towing capacity: https://www.ramtrucks.com/revolutio...*16ek56i*_gcl_au*MTY1ODU3OTgwMy4xNjk5NTA0NTMy. I also hope that the Cybertruck will have vehicle to grid and vehicle to vehicle charging. Apparently both of these Ram trucks will.

4Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
2023 f150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Country flag
:) Thanks. The numbers I saw were 70.8 kWh usable so is calculated 2.05 (rounded 2.1).
Excellent! I love to stand corrected.

I did not bother to weigh in on the rest of the PHEV/REx Nominal/Peak Power/Towing etc discussion... But the genset seems fairly substantial, should probably handle a multi mile steep grade while towing. Without running the numbers... But we can use our average efficiency figures to get into the ballpark. So at 2mi/kWh at 60mph we need 30kW of nominal power for cruising. Worst case 1mi/kWh at max towing (which I'm not sure I buy, I got about 50% less, or 1.5mi/kWh with ~5k trailer at 70-80mph.) ANyway.. that's 60kW nominal. Pulling faster and up a grade, 120kW was the REx nominal power I think I saw? So that should haul quite a lot.

First hand I have a Pacifica Hybrid PHEV-33Mi, we do a 2000 mile annual road trip. Last time we were hauling ars, getting like 23mpg where it can do 40+mpg at 60mph no problem... Anyway, the engine is 3.6-liter V6 engine combine output with motors is 260 horsepower (194kW)... I think the engine alone is 220 hp @ 5,050 rpm (164 kW)... Don't quote me, those are probably wrong, cause the two electric motors are 84-kW and 63-kW, but in a differential CVT Series-Hybrid setup, so some of the engine power is piped through those. Electric only peaks around 60kW I believe... Anyway, pulling a mountain pass, it can maintain speed just fine, but it gets revved up pretty high. I would imagine the Ram engine is likely sized sufficiently for it's expected load on high grade situations as well.... Contrasting this with an old Prius that did have trouble finishing the grape vine at speed if you didn't get into it with a full battery at the bottom... Cool story, ya? ;) lol... The Ram will be interesting for sure, I could see it being popular in remote regions. But then again, I think PHEVs are the minimum viable product of the near future as well...

4Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
A 14-50 plug will only be rated for 40amp continuous. That means it's unlikely that the inverter will be 12kW rating. But total power may be 12kW including 120v sockets.
You could be right... But I do know that the Lightning ProPower is capable of pushing 3.6/3.6kW +1.8/3.6kW +~2.0/2.4kW for at least 4 hours without a problem. The 7.2kW+2.4kW are continuous ratings... Keep in mind that the Lighting bed has the single L14-30 (30a*0.8=24a) plus a pair of 20a 120vac plugs per phase, each of those is (20a*0.8=16a * 2) continuous, so that's 24+16+16a worth of copper in the sockets which is more than the inverters...

If the CyberTruck really does have a 12kW continuous inverter pair, then it can push 40a+16a via the combination of the 14-50s and the two 120vac sockets, which gets you up to 56a worth at 80% load... Of course the inverters could be smaller, or could be larger, or there could be more outlets in the cab or maybe a third inverter like the Lightning... I think we are all just making best guesses at this point that should be roughly in the ball park... If I could change one thing from that CyberTruck bed outlet photo, I would change to a 120/240 split phase 50 amp twist locking socket and plug.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Aside:
Excellent! I love to stand corrected.

I did not bother to weigh in on the rest of the PHEV/REx Nominal/Peak Power/Towing etc discussion... But the genset seems fairly substantial, should probably handle a multi mile steep grade while towing. Without running the numbers... But we can use our average efficiency figures to get into the ballpark. So at 2mi/kWh at 60mph we need 30kW of nominal power for cruising. Worst case 1mi/kWh at max towing (which I'm not sure I buy, I got about 50% less, or 1.5mi/kWh with ~5k trailer at 70-80mph.) ANyway.. that's 60kW nominal. Pulling faster and up a grade, 120kW was the REx nominal power I think I saw? So that should haul quite a lot.

First hand I have a Pacifica Hybrid PHEV-33Mi, we do a 2000 mile annual road trip. Last time we were hauling ars, getting like 23mpg where it can do 40+mpg at 60mph no problem... Anyway, the engine is 3.6-liter V6 engine combine output with motors is 260 horsepower (194kW)... I think the engine alone is 220 hp @ 5,050 rpm (164 kW)... Don't quote me, those are probably wrong, cause the two electric motors are 84-kW and 63-kW, but in a differential CVT Series-Hybrid setup, so some of the engine power is piped through those. Electric only peaks around 60kW I believe... Anyway, pulling a mountain pass, it can maintain speed just fine, but it gets revved up pretty high. I would imagine the Ram engine is likely sized sufficiently for it's expected load on high grade situations as well.... Contrasting this with an old Prius that did have trouble finishing the grape vine at speed if you didn't get into it with a full battery at the bottom... Cool story, ya? ;) lol... The Ram will be interesting for sure, I could see it being popular in remote regions. But then again, I think PHEVs are the minimum viable product of the near future as well...
That was great input and cool examples too.
I use ScanMyTesla to get the details on the front and rear motors kW (&HP) usage on our TMX (CANbus OBDII adapter). I have not looked closely at it when climbing vs flat ground. I wish I did in BC Canada or the Rocky Mtns coming across CO last summer!

I got into "EVs" with the Chevolet Volt in Feb 2011 and was using it 98% of the time on grid filled battery power. It would go 40 miles and my commute was ~20 miles. It used the battery until it hit about 22% SOC then would run the generator I4 ICE. I road tripped a little with it. I didn't have a phone apps reading CANbus until the end of my usage. Anyway it had a "Mountain Mode" that would leave about 1/3 the battery SOC before you got to the "mountain". It would dip into this as necessary as you climbed different grades or passed people. The I4 ICE would rev high too. It was a *great* transition vehicle. My kid drives that Gen1 Volt today. My wife drives the Gen2 version of the Volt and we'll likely give it to the same kid when we need a new car.

4Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm not underestimating at all, just questioning the need(if there is a need) to have to go to a charging station and a gas station every trip I take while towing. Side note, apparently the RamRev will also have a higher towing capacity: https://www.ramtrucks.com/revolutio...*16ek56i*_gcl_au*MTY1ODU3OTgwMy4xNjk5NTA0NTMy. I also hope that the Cybertruck will have vehicle to grid and vehicle to vehicle charging. Apparently both of these Ram trucks will.

Wait? What? If you were towing long range with the RAM you most likely would not both charge and gas up... You would just gas up multiple times... and then perhaps charge up once to the destination, or if you stopped overnight mid trip... You probably would not do both, that would just be silly.

Since the Lightning (7.2kW) and CyberTruck (~12kW maybe) both have 240vac output, they can both be plugged into a home generator socket, or they can run a Level2 EVSE J1772 and charge other vehicles.... So they both already definitely do V2H and V2V... Probably not V2G, because backfeeding the grid is a little more tricky, best to just get a home battery system that specialized in that sort of thing.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Side:
I'm not underestimating at all, just questioning the need(if there is a need) to have to go to a charging station and a gas station every trip I take while towing.
Long ago I would take our Chevrolet Volt on roadtrips (its main design was to use up all the grid filled battery before turning on the gas generator). I'd fill it with gas and charge it overnight. The next day I'd use up all the battery at the beginning of the trip (until ~22% StateOfCharge/SOC) and then just use the gas generator (I4 ICE) for the rest of the trip. So charge at home once then stop at gas stations on the trip. -- In one example, at our destination mountain cabin, I'd plug into an outside 120v socket and charge overnight for running around the next day ONLY using grid-filled battery power and finally before we drove home a week later for the beginning of the trip back. HTH

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Wait? What? If you were towing long range with the RAM you most likely would not both charge and gas up... You would just gas up multiple times... and then perhaps charge up once to the destination, or if you stopped overnight mid trip... You probably would not do both, that would just be silly.

Since the Lightning (7.2kW) and CyberTruck (~12kW maybe) both have 240vac output, they can both be plugged into a home generator socket, or they can run a Level2 EVSE J1772 and charge other vehicles.... So they both already definitely do V2H and V2V... Probably not V2G, because backfeeding the grid is a little more tricky, best to just get a home battery system that specialized in that sort of thing.
That would depend on cost difference between fuel and electricity, and how long each would take and if there is a charger nearby. Electric would still be cheaper in many locations, so if the charge speed was ok, you'd have to decide on the trip which one fits better.

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but with that battery it only gets 145 miles which is 1.5miles/kWh which is pretty awful. My Lightning lifetime average is 2.1mi/kWh with mostly freeway and a few 100 miles of towing per month. Sedans regularly do 3~4mi/kWh. Anyway, point is that battery capacity alone doesn't tell the whole story. Just wanted to sprinkle in a little nuance, hope no one is allergic. ;)
They stated that the usable capacity is 78kWh(AFAIK) so your calculations are off.

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You could be right... But I do know that the Lightning ProPower is capable of pushing 3.6/3.6kW +1.8/3.6kW +~2.0/2.4kW for at least 4 hours without a problem. The 7.2kW+2.4kW are continuous ratings... Keep in mind that the Lighting bed has the single L14-30 (30a*0.8=24a) plus a pair of 20a 120vac plugs per phase, each of those is (20a*0.8=16a * 2) continuous, so that's 24+16+16a worth of copper in the sockets which is more than the inverters...

If the CyberTruck really does have a 12kW continuous inverter pair, then it can push 40a+16a via the combination of the 14-50s and the two 120vac sockets, which gets you up to 56a worth at 80% load... Of course the inverters could be smaller, or could be larger, or there could be more outlets in the cab or maybe a third inverter like the Lightning... I think we are all just making best guesses at this point that should be roughly in the ball park... If I could change one thing from that CyberTruck bed outlet photo, I would change to a 120/240 split phase 50 amp twist locking socket and plug.
Tell me which twist lock 50a plug is NEMA rated and I'll agree with you.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Since the Lightning (7.2kW) and CyberTruck (~12kW maybe)
Worth double-clicking on this “12kW” game of telephone

started by TFL saying (and me relaying they said) they can’t make out what the embossing (?) on the plug says, but maybe it says “2kW”

from there, folks rightfully noted that 2kW would be a weird power, so maybe it says 12kW. But that interpretation assumes the label says anything about kW at all.

But I don’t think that’s a correct assumption. (And the TFL guys aren’t exactly detail oriented.)

here’s a better photo (from their video, of their monitor), which I’ve enhanced a little

Tesla Cybertruck 2024 Cybertruck Official Specs Leaked?! 😱 - Udated With Compare/Analysis C1F8154F-E61D-4207-836B-8AECD0C65613

I think the upper label inbetween the the upper plugs says “120v”, while the lower label they’re pointing at says “120/220v”

first, if they’re labeling the plate for anything at all, one thing would have to be the voltage - they’d not list overall kW but not voltage at each plug

second, there’s not enough labeling here to be relaying both voltage and kW data

third, what’s fairly visible in the lower label is:

“1xx/2xxx”

Which just doesn’t appear sensible for relaying “12kW” anywhere within. If eg the “/“ is interpreted as the “1” in “12kW”, that would leave the label saying “1xx12xxx”, which at best would be a nonsensical “12012kW”. Other possible permutations just don’t make any sense.

but “120/220v” does make sense, is consistent with the bare min the labeling would relay, and also coincides with the upper label’s visible “1XXx”

Which, if so, means we don’t have any info on this panel’s overall power - just that there’s 120vX2 and 220vX1 (and that V2H etc is there for the taking)

anyways, it’s late, and I’ve been in bed with COVID for two days (thanks MIL!), and it’s this or tv…

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Worth double-clicking on this “12kW” game of telephone

started by TFL saying (and me relaying they said) they can’t make out what the embossing (?) on the plug says, but maybe it says “2kW”

from there, folks rightfully noted that 2kW would be a weird power, so maybe it says 12kW. But that interpretation assumes the label says anything about kW at all.

But I don’t think that’s a correct assumption. (And the TFL guys aren’t exactly detail oriented.)

here’s a better photo (from their video, of their monitor), which I’ve enhanced a little

C1F8154F-E61D-4207-836B-8AECD0C65613.jpeg

I think the upper label inbetween the the upper plugs says “120v”, while the lower label they’re pointing at says “120/220v”

first, if they’re labeling the plate for anything at all, one thing would have to be the voltage - they’d not list overall kW but not voltage at each plug

second, there’s not enough labeling here to be relaying both voltage and kW data

third, what’s fairly visible in the lower label is:

“1xx/2xxx”

Which just doesn’t appear sensible for relaying “12kW” anywhere within. If eg the “/“ is interpreted as the “1” in “12kW”, that would leave the label saying “1xx12xxx”, which at best would be a nonsensical “12012kW”. Other possible permutations just don’t make any sense.

but “120/220v” does make sense, is consistent with the bare min the labeling would relay, and also coincides with the upper label’s visible “1XXx”

Which, if so, means we don’t have any info on this panel’s overall power - just that there’s 120vX2 and 220vX1 (and that V2H etc is there for the taking)

anyways, it’s late, and I’ve been in bed with COVID for two days (thanks MIL!), and it’s this or tv…
This is America so it would be 120/240v
Sponsored