Actual finish of stainless steel exoskeleton?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I'll try and answer your stainless steel questions.
Yes, it can rust. However, it must be removed from exposure to oxygen for extended periods of time. Stainless steel works because of its chromium content. The chromium produces a layer of chromium oxide (chromium rust) much faster than the iron can. It produces an oxygen proof later, protecting the other molecules in the alloy.

You will find stainless steel discolorations when it is stored improperly. For example, if stored in a large roll, it's critical that it STAY dry, as the layers are close enough to produce an oxygen proof later of water between the sheets (lol). This is very bad as oxygen is the very thing that activates the chromium. Your kitchen knives will rust if you leave them submerged in the sink. Your sink will also rust if you leave it filled for days on end. Even so, it will rust MUCH slower than steel. On a car, stainless steel will not be protected from oxygen for and significant amount of time, so yeah, it won't rust unless you leave it at the bottom of a lake for good while--which is probably not recommended--and could still be buffed out to create a new later of chromium oxide. All that being said, if you have a solid chromium oxide layer on your sink, even submerged for weeks wouldn't be enough, it would have to be scored or scratched to begin rusting. Most acids will also react with chromium oxide.

So don't paint it, don't leave it submerged, don't put acid on it regularly, and you should be fine! I don't see why you couldn't do different finishes, but it's not something you'd want to do very often.

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sonnus

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, 2500HD
Country flag
If stainless steel is contaminated by mild steel it will rust. Even simply dragging a steel object across the surface of stainless steel could be enough to contaminate it. Banging an iron pan around in a stainless kitchen sink could lead to rust. If your kitchen knives are high quality stainless then this is possibly what is happening.

When manufacturing or fabricating with stainless it is very important to avoid this contamination. Stainless tools are always labeled and kept separate from the non-stainless tools because the iron residue left behind from working on non-stainless is enough to contaminate the stainless steel.

I would imagine that Cybertrucks will most likely get rusty spots because of contamination. Even off-roading in a wet area with a high iron content in the soil could lead to rust on the cybertrucks surface. And accidentally dragging a steel tool across the surface would most likely promote rust.

Archer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Service and Repair
Country flag
The drivers door finish is different because it was damaged during early testing and needed to be replaced.

Last edited:

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
If stainless steel is contaminated by mild steel it will rust. Even simply dragging a steel object across the surface of stainless steel could be enough to contaminate it. Banging an iron pan around in a stainless kitchen sink could lead to rust. If your kitchen knives are high quality stainless then this is possibly what is happening.

When manufacturing or fabricating with stainless it is very important to avoid this contamination. Stainless tools are always labeled and kept separate from the non-stainless tools because the iron residue left behind from working on non-stainless is enough to contaminate the stainless steel.

I would imagine that Cybertrucks will most likely get rusty spots because of contamination. Even off-roading in a wet area with a high iron content in the soil could lead to rust on the cybertrucks surface. And accidentally dragging a steel tool across the surface would most likely promote rust.
As long as that oxide layer is intact, should be pretty tough to contaminate it. 300 series stainless is all very high chromium and nickel. Things like branches, dirt getting kicked up, etc would not be enough to contaminate austenitic stainless. I'd be more worried if it was 304 (kitchen pans), but I find that pretty unlikely. 316 (boat hulls) is much more resistant to localized attacks/hits/scratches and contamination thanks to molybdenum magic.

It's all black magic alchemy!

Cheers!

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
The drivers door finish is different because it was damaged during testing of the and needed to be replaced.
If you're talking about the one CT prototype that was seen in NYC, Austin, Petersen, etc, then you're mistaken.

The door on the CT I saw in NYC was certainly the door that Franz hit with the plastic deadblow sledge hammer. There is certainly a small dent in the door. I took pictures of it.

Unfortunately, uploading to this forum kills the resolution of pictures, but it's there.

Tesla Cybertruck Actual finish of stainless steel exoskeleton? 9C689BF4-A8C3-48D8-A558-D18FFD6C4CBE
Tesla Cybertruck Actual finish of stainless steel exoskeleton? 9C689BF4-A8C3-48D8-A558-D18FFD6C4CBE

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Yeah, ix-nay on the learcoat-cay and different finishes. Me keeps the factory finish. Do you clearcoat your kitchen knives? How about the kitchen sink? Didn't think so. How about the SS can opener? You don't run to the garage and give it a shot of varnish? And what about your SS fridge? You're not going to clear coat it? Wait, what? There's no better finish than stainless steel? That's was I was going to say.

(Sarcasm brought to you at no extra cost)

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The SS finish will be very similar to the concept that was displayed. I would be shocked if Tesla decides to go with a different finish.

This stainless steel wedge is going to be a disruptor in the American pickup truck market. It will have no direct competitor in the marketplace. I am infatuated with the truck as much as Mr. Musk is. I think the 3mm thick SS exoskeleton and wedge design is absolutely brilliant. Tesla thought way outside of the box with the Cybertruck design.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One of the reasons Tesla wants to use Stainless is to eliminate the expense of having a paint shop for the Cybertruck. So clear coating is a hard no. If you are overly worried about finish, get the truck wrapped, that is Tesla’s “pretty” solution.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag

AeroTool

First Name
CARL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1T RED ROCKET...!!!, F350, Sprinter Van...
Occupation
Mostly RETIRED
Country flag
Nonmagnetic stainless steel grades (such as 304, which contains nickel) tend to be more rust-resistant than magnetic stainless steel grades (such as 430), but even 304 will rust..