Bar Keepers Friend changed my Cybertruck's finish!

Scott2613

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 S Plaid Track Pack 22 Model X 22 S Plaid 18 M3
Occupation
Owner, Marshall Auto
Country flag
My Cybertruck was delivered with quite a bit of staining on a lot of the panels. It’s looked to be from rain. I tried a bunch of softer cleaners first to get off the stains. Windex, waterless wash, full soap wash, generic stainless polish, etc.

None of that worked. So I tried some bar keepers friend that many other suggested. I tried it on a small area, and it looked fine. I then tried a door with lots of staining. I let it sit for one minute and then rinsed it off. The first time I applied very lightly and it dulled the stains, but didn’t remove them. The second time I scrubbed just a little more and it completely removed all the stains and created a perfectly uniform panel.

However, The door is now lighter in color and the finish is a bit more dull / less shiny. I don’t love this effect, but it appears I’m going to have to live with it since I already started. I followed the directions, didn’t let it sit too long and didn’t scrub hard. To help others to do this well and decide if this is for them, I would love some advice or feedback from others if they saw this, or if I did something wrong.

Pic: BKF used on rear door only

IMG_7932.jpeg
Just wipe it off with naphtha or alcohol. Then try two or three other stainless polishes. Wipe the ones off that are not to your liking. If none are good then just wipe the whole thing off with more naphtha or alcohol. It will look new again. Most products leave a residue. I used some cheap ceramic crap called”Recharge” from a company called Hydro Silex. It leaves the least noticeable change.
Sponsored

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Can you put that on high temp applications like a BBQ or did you just do the accessories?
Mind sharing a pic, my outdoor kitchen has a ton of SS and housekeeper hates keeping it clean.
what is the word on cleaning the hard plastic pieces, like the fender trim and bumpers..... Any solutions to keep them looking good?
We also make a product called Everbrite (our namesake coating) it has strong UV blockers, anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibitors. It works well on painted metals and hard plastics.

All of our coatings are stable to 550 degrees and gas off around 600, so perfectly fine to use on BBQ exteriors.

OP
OP

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Country flag
Is this the Bar Keeper spray you used?
No, I used the liquid. But as another post said, it’s the “more” spray that has been used with good results. Which is different from the bottle you posted.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
I have been using 99.9% IPA alcohol in a spray bottle using a 50/50 with distilled water for spot cleaning or waterless wash and it seems to work well. I have moved away from Windex because of the ammonia. I have read ammonia can cause discoloring and/or pitting if left on too long. Sure it's fine if you spray it on a rag and wipe it on and off in a normal amount of time. I have noticed that when the Tesla tech uses gloves the marks seem to be harder to get off.
Sounds good...

I'm not using BKF or windex and it seems like the Stainless is getting better as it self passivates. Don't really have much trouble with fingerprints now. I have used Method glass cleaner (which doesn't contain ammonia) and it seemed to initially work pretty well. But probably should be used diluted. I am still planning to passivate with Citrisurf over the weekend, so will let you all know if it's worth the trouble...

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Telehealth Solutions Architect
Country flag
Has anyone tried this out yet? I love their glass cleaner first time I’ve seen this product.
Tesla Cybertruck Bar Keepers Friend changed my Cybertruck's finish! IMG_0372

sgmorton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS P100DL+. M3P, CT
Occupation
Programmer
Country flag
Has anyone tried this out yet? I love their glass cleaner first time I’ve seen this product.
IMG_0372.jpeg
I got the impression that left a layer of oil as a protectant on the surface. Which is fine for a frdge but maybe not on a truck. Let us know the results I use the SprayWay window cleaner instead of Windex to good results.

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Country flag
I got the impression that left a layer of oil as a protectant on the surface. Which is fine for a frdge but maybe not on a truck. Let us know the results I use the SprayWay window cleaner instead of Windex to good results.
Good point it might make pollen and dust stick to it even more if it has an oily film. But maybe dust/pollen rinses off easier with just water? I’ll let you know whenever I get my vin and my truck in the next week to 4 months 🤣😂 FML!

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Country flag
Good point it might make pollen and dust stick to it even more if it has an oily film. But maybe dust/pollen rinses off easier with just water? I’ll let you know whenever I get my vin and my truck in the next week to 4 months 🤣😂 FML!
And yes, I love the glass cleaner and you can use it on tinted windows unlike Windex.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
We also make a product called Everbrite (our namesake coating) it has strong UV blockers, anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibitors. It works well on painted metals and hard plastics.

Could you please provide a link or a picture of the product that can coat the bumpers and black plastic trims by the wheels? The web page is confusing with so many similar products.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
IMG_0372.jpeg
Their glass cleaner is amazing, but that being oil based not sure how well it will do

ProtectaClear

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Country flag
Could you please provide a link or a picture of the product that can coat the bumpers and black plastic trims by the wheels? The web page is confusing with so many similar products.
Sure thing here is the link to Everbrite which is what you would need for the hard plastic on the CT. It has strong UV blockers, antioxidants and corrosion protection to protect painted metals and other hard surfaces from fading, oxidizing and corrosion.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sure thing here is the link to Everbrite which is what you would need for the hard plastic on the CT. It has strong UV blockers, antioxidants and corrosion protection to protect painted metals and other hard surfaces from fading, oxidizing and corrosion.
None of that is needed for stainless steel. Steel doesn't really change under UV.

-Crissa