A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm guessing x = a number and a letter i.e. that it a special formulation. When the trucks become available some metalurgist will determine the exact composition.
Sponsored

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, electric trials bike
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been trying to figure out the bed dimensions (very roughly).
I took the online photo of the rear view of the open vault and measured in Visio. Then determined a multiplier (13.1) to make the width 57 inches (as noted above. BTW, what was the source for 57 inch bed width).
Then measured the rear of the vault height and the height of the tailgate, multiplied by 13.1 resulting in 19.5 inches rounded up to 20.
The front of the vault isn't vertical. It appears to drop down sloping backwards for a about 17 inches, then slopes forward for about 11 inches and finally drops down vertically for about 4 inches. I used another multiplier to compensate for perspective in the above measurements, and rounded up.

The problem I am now having is that when all the multiplying is done (I used the average of the front and rear heights ((32+20)/2=26) so 57x78x26=115596.
That result divided by 1728 (number of cubic inches in a cubic foot) results in 66.98 cu.ft.
Whoa! That is WAY short of 100 cu.ft.

If you divide 100 cu.ft (172800 cubic inches by the length & width of the bed, it requires the AVERAGE height of the vault to be 38.9 inches.

So I thought, try a different view. Using the side view of the truck, and scalinf for z truch height of 75 inches, and a bit of guessing where the bed was, I measure 24 rear, 37 front (again, rounding up). We get better, 78.5 cu.ft. , but not 100.

So until we get clear specs from Tesla, I am going to assume someone mistakenly used the front of the vault dimension instead of the average of front and back heights. It is actually more complicated than this because the front of the vault is not planar, but for my needs, close enough. I was using volume to confirm the front height, but there is no way the front height is 54 inches. Oops.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Your analysis seems quite clean. I see the quoted cargo capacity of the MX as 88 ft3, which is not much less than 100 ft3, but the MX is much smaller than the CT. It definitely doesn't have 6.5 feet in length for storage, though it probably has an overall height greater than the CT. I just use the quoted length of 6.5 ft and your width of 57 inches (almost 5 ft) and that gives me about 39 ft2. Then if the bed is 2 ft deep we have about 78 ft3. If the front is really more like 37 inches then adding another 39/2 or 19 ft3 would be really close to 100 ft3. I know this is 100% ad hoc but isn't it kind of reasonable. At the end of the day I do not even care if there is 100 ft3 of cargo capacity in the bed; I like having a bed again and something that promises to be really, really sturdy.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmm. When I multiply 78x57 and divide by 144 I get 30.875 sqft.
Multiplying 6.5 x 5 I get 32.5 sq ft.

But not to get hung up in the weeds...
I was trying to see how much room I have to get my motorcycle inside the locked vault.
Keeping it upright will definitely be outside the vault, although looking at the CyberQuad already made that obvious.
If I lay it on its side with the handlebars turned, the high point is 25 inches about three inches back.
Actually, not turning the handlebars results in a bike 2 inches longer than the 6.5 bed
This will give me a little wiggle room to craft a cradle to support the bike on its side, and also allow for a second bike.
Before you panic, it is electric, so no worries about electrons leaking out all over the vault.

We won't know what the aero efficiencies are with the vault open or closed, but my assumption is closed will be better.
How much? We'll just have to wait and see.

And as witnessed by the Hummer ad @ the Superbowl, some folks have no appreciation for efficiency.
Just dropping a battery drive train into a Hummer won't make for a highly efficient vehicle.

Looking at a comparison, I recently saw a graphic for 25 vehicles comparing Watt Hour/Mile showing combined, city & highway.
There was a long list of vehicles, Tesla Model 3 ranged from 253 to 291 wh/mi combined city/highway 5 its 5 variants.
Model S Long Range was 304, Jaguar I-Pace was 443 and Audi e-tron was 455. Now this is weight, drive train & aero that all combine to give this efficiency indicator.

Another aerodynamic comparison done using software by a British guy using a "rough approximation" of the Cybertruck
thought that at higher speeds, the Cybertruck may achieve a coefficient of drag approach .3. Elon also apparently said with a extreme effort,
they might be able to get it down to .3. The bloke running the software said typical cars get around .35, and typical pickups around .45 to .5.
Using the software he showed the CyberTruck achieving a .39 coefficient of drag @ 60mph, the Dodge Ram 1500 achieved a .56 and the Ford 150 achieved a .59 at the same speed. IT will be interesting to see how the Hummer does.

So getting around 3 miles per kw/hr versus something around 2. We will see if Tesla's seeming obsession with getting a better vehicle will force other vehicle manufacturers to follow. Today looking at sedans and how they have all moved to more aerodynamic designs making the general outline the same in the hunt for better mileage numbers may be an indicator of what is to come.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
I am not sure if it was vault space of 100cuft or total storage including frunk storage.

ecotrials

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I watched the reveal again and Elon said 100 cuft of storage in the rear.
Then I noticed on screen it said Exterior Lockable Storage,, which I interpret to include the Vault, any storage in the "sails" which is outside the vault and probably lockable and also might include the under vault bed storage space. These were both included in three photos onscreen at the reveal, the third being the frunk. So at this point, I'm going to assume 100 cuft is accurate until proven otherwise. I guess we will actually have to wait for further specifications from Tesla to know exactly.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Does it have a spare tire?

What do the tires actually cost?
Tirerack.com has the tire priced at $218.99 per tire and $875.96 for a set of four. The customer reviews for the tire seem good.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck confirmed specs / features list Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 7.03.29 PM

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I got the information from tirerack.com
Tire Prices
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.17.26 AM.png
I'm a dunce when it comes to tires. Is there anything in that profile that has a longer life with all weather finish instead of off-road? For my work I mostly drive pavement and occasionally need to go off-road, but I can also put up to 40k milles a year on my truck.

dynomike75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots - all gas powered, for now
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I got the information from tirerack.com
Tire Prices
Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 7.17.26 AM.png
I believe you have the wrong size there, they are 35x12.5, not 31x10.5,.

EDIT: Of course, they could be 17's as well, which drops the price by about $100.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck confirmed specs / features list 1581001196531

Last edited:

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I believe you have the wrong size there, they are 35x12.5, not 31x10.5,.

EDIT: Of course, they could be 17's as well, which drops the price by about $100.

1581001196531.png
Thank you for the clarification.
The load range for the tire is less than 3,500 LBS. It will be interesting to see which tire they ultimately select.

dynomike75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots - all gas powered, for now
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for the clarification.
The load range for the tire is less than 3,500 LBS. It will be interesting to see which tire they ultimately select.
Load rating E is a pretty common rating for truck tires. Most 2500/3500 GM/Ford trucks only come with an E rating and tow 15-20k lbs. That is per tire, so that is around 12,500 for the vehicle. Even with full loading of a rated 3500 lbs, the Cybertruck will be well under that.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
Load rating E is a pretty common rating for truck tires. Most 2500/3500 GM/Ford trucks only come with an E rating and tow 15-20k lbs. That is per tire, so that is around 12,500 for the vehicle. Even with full loading of a rated 3500 lbs, the Cybertruck will be well under that.
Cool. That expands the choices we will have for tires.
Sponsored