Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch?

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
you're assuming people will want a truck over a car based on the price. bad assumption.
half the people in here wanting the truck aren’t wanting it for truck purposes. A whole bunch of people buying the cars I mentioned dont do it because they really want or need those models. They want space and performance out of a techy EV. The CT destroys both on a value basis, is 5x more practical and 10x more durable. On top of that it has a feature set none of them can touch.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The quad motor can’t cost less than a model X unless they never want to sell another one
The dual motor can’t cost less than any model Y or they will cut that demand by 75%
At release, the tri motor was priced at release lower than the Model X. And the dual motor was lower than any dual motor Model Y.

Why do you guys keep making these proclamations?

Also, why the heck would I want a full-sized truck if I could fit what I wanted in a Model Y? Or a Model 3? Or whatever the compact model becomes? Why would I spend twice the energy to get places and never be able to park in an urban lot if I didn't have to?

I want the truck because I want to do truck things. I want to climb mountains and haul my motorcycle and trees and tons of rock, blocks, and lumber. I can't do that in a Model Y. I've done as much as I can in my Mazda 3. But it can't hauls trees or my motorcycle and can only do half a layer of blocks or a couple pieces of plywood at a time.

-Crissa

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
half the people in here wanting the truck aren’t wanting it for truck purposes.
Without a doubt.

A whole bunch of people buying the cars I mentioned dont do it because they really want or need those models. They want space and performance out of a techy EV.
...and then they ask to make the CT smaller, because they don't actually want to drive a full size truck.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Elon himself admitted that the affordable reveal pricing will not be held when the Cybertruck starts production. How much of a price hike Tesla hits us with remains to be seen.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
half the people in here wanting the truck aren’t wanting it for truck purposes. A whole bunch of people buying the cars I mentioned dont do it because they really want or need those models. They want space and performance out of a techy EV. The CT destroys both on a value basis, is 5x more practical and 10x more durable. On top of that it has a feature set none of them can touch.
people that want trucks get trucks. people that want cars don't get trucks.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
for myself, most of the time a car would be fine, however sometimes I need a truck ergo I'm getting the CT. my wife would never want or need a truck and so bought a Y.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
Found the Cybertruck pricing..... :LOL:

Tesla Cybertruck Expected Cybertruck pricing / price at launch? 1669908524513

TK0384

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion xB
Country flag
I'm one of those that don't want a cybertruck for truck purposes. I mean, sure I'll use it to haul camping gear on occasion and maybe even a trailer once in a while, but the primary reason I pre-ordered on day 1 was aesthetics.
The fact that it's also (assuming I can get a solar tonneau) an apocalypse-proof space tank is icing on the cake.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Elon himself admitted that the affordable reveal pricing will not be held when the Cybertruck starts production. How much of a price hike Tesla hits us with remains to be seen.
Not quite what he said and "affordable" is relative. The CT3 at the reveal was affordable to me. More would be "affordable" also, but that doesn't mean I would buy it.

After the reveal, I ran my numbers and I considered the $70k cost of the CT3 vs what I pay in gas. I made a lot of assumptions regarding the future price of gas, the size of the CT3 battery, and no price increase for the CT. I determined the premium I'd be paying for the CT versus what I would normally buy (which would probably be a 2 yr old used full size truck with low miles.) is about $39k. That is about 15 years worth of gas for me. Other ICE maintenance was not included because it's such a relatively small dollar amount compared to monthly gas costs. I spend about $300/mo in gas. Oil changes are about $200/yr. Brakes are about $500 every few years. Transmission service...I haven't needed it on either of my last 2 trucks going back to 2000.

Whatever the cost of the 500 mile CT variant is, I'm not willing to spend a premium that takes me more than 15 years to break even when something that's about 1/2 the price will serve me just fine.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I spend about $300/mo in gas. Oil changes are about $200/yr. Brakes are about $500 every few years. Transmission service...I haven't needed it on either of my last 2 trucks going back to 2000.
I spent that much on my car this year and I spend half that on gas. Yeesh.

-Crissa

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I spent that much on my car this year and I spend half that on gas. Yeesh.

-Crissa
Tis the burden of driving a full-size truck that isn't a hybrid or diesel nor has any fancy cylinder shut-off tech.

Note that any newer truck I get would likely get better MPGs than the 15.5 I get now and would drive out the break-even point even later than the 15 yrs. But I didn't include that in the calculation/argument for getting the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is false.

Musk made a statement about inflation and Cybertruck pricing, but your comment does not reflect what he actually said.

Foxx

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Outback, Eventually a damn Cybertruck
Occupation
Flight Nurse/paramedic/Fire medic, Major USAF
Country flag
No.

They only did that with the Roadster when the company was running out of funding.

Why would they need to collect money to get people to skip ahead in the line? They have plenty pf people interested.

-Crissa
My thoughts are.. There are likely a lot of multiple reservations (hell, I thought about making more than 1) since it was only $100. I would think that after configuring and committing to a purchase we would could expect to show we were serious about buying. I’m not saying skipping line, however, you should lose your spot if you are not willing to make a commitment to take delivery. (In order of you RN# of course)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla just lowered the price on the Model Y $3,750 so long as you take delivery before year end. Prices of most raw materials are down to 2021 levels.

The idea that the outsized inflation over the past year are permanent is not holding up.
Sponsored