SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
I am prepared to bail if the tri-motor isn’t as promised. But you are taking my comment out of context. Elon can do what he wants with the Cybertruck specs, of course, but it is not his call to say what kind of range we want or need. And god damn him for even trying. And Elon has much bigger problems to deal with than ‘me’ bailing if he welches on his promises.
I hope he does come close to his “promises”….

Unfortunately I think there are enough fanboys out there that are really forgiving willing to take what is offered.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
With the way you're looking at it, it's a wonder you have any interest in EVs at all. If you need to tow long-distances, and don't want to charge along the way, why don't you get a gas or diesel tow rig? You're bellyaching about something you have complete control over.

Why do you even consider yourself an EV enthusiast? Does anyone make an EV that's good enough for your needs? It doesn't sound like it.
In a [small] way you are right. I have held off on buying a BEV for years waiting for one that could get at least 400 real miles per charge. I have not (and do not intend to) trailered often because my SUV really isn’t designed for it and, while in the workforce, I really didn’t have large amounts of time to do it comfortably. But having taken our MY on the interstate last winter I realized that I don’t ‘want’ to spend an extra 2 hours per day on the road just to charge at every available supercharger. In the summer it would be ok because I wouldn’t feel compelled to reach the next supercharger with at least 20-25% SOC and so I can charge a little less frequently. Driving from SF to LA only takes an extra hour and that is ok.

What is amazing is that you do not share my charging experiences and have similar requirements. Clearly you do not care whether what someone ‘sells’ you is what they actually deliver. I do. Having had 2 hybrid SUVs and 2 BEVs most people consider me quite the EV advocate but I am also a pragmatist and I hold people to their commitments. If I share a point of view with you that you don’t like then fine….nothing new there in my life.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
As we wait for 'real world' figures or EPA and so on, are you thinking any particular battery pack size and if so what's your rough in of consumption?
Could the TRI/QUAD run a 175 kWh pack and deliver a hypothetical 3.1 miles/kWh?
It would SMASH the competition if it this was the case.
Edit: On reflection, and reading Elon notes beyond 2019, l might be too heavy handed on that pack size. Something about carrying around batteries and a ~330 mile range. A salute to the environ_mental CT.
I think with the Rivians Cd of 0.30 and efficient motors proven with recent data that Tesla will have a hard time beating them by any significant amount.

I just added a couple rows using the "best" numbers for competitors to see how it worked out. Usable is 95% of total kWh.

Tesla Cybertruck GM vs Cybertruck battery size & $ eJrO3CY

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
What is amazing is that you do not share my charging experiences and have similar requirements.
There is literally nothing amazing about the fact that you and I have different charging requirements and charging experiences. That is completely expected, not amazing.

Clearly you do not care whether what someone ‘sells’ you is what they actually deliver. I do.
Huh? Of course I care that what gets delivered matches what I was sold!

Where did you get the odd idea that I don't?

A long time ago, I learned that when someone starts talking nonsense, there is something more going on there. There is always a reason why someone talks nonsense. That's not to say the reason can be easily identified.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
you’ve always sort of taken the position that the 2019 unveil specs were each and every ‘promised’

That position by no means do I think is unfair or unreasonable, but it is just one of several available positions

and by now it’s fairly clear that promises or not, they’re not all going to be met

and yes, top spec range I think is amongst them
If it were ’any’ other car maker I would agree, and if it were ‘any’ other car maker I would not have waited around for almost 4 years because I would know, for sure, that what you are saying is what will come to be.

But Tesla has had a reputation, and actually makes a BIG deal about, how other car makers make promises with their prototypes that they don’t deliver on, and that Tesla under promises and over delivers. That is what pisses me off. It is much worse than what legacy car makers do.

Anyway, if you have decided that 330 miles of range at 60% normal range (about 200 miles), and 55 mph on the highway in 65 degree temperatures is fine, then good for you. It’s just not going to impress a lot of others.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is literally nothing amazing about the fact that you and I have different charging requirements and charging experiences. That is completely expected, not amazing.

Huh? Of course I care that what gets delivered matches what I was sold!

Where did you get the odd idea that I don't?

A long time ago, I learned that when someone starts talking nonsense, there is something more going on there. There is always a reason why someone talks nonsense. That's not to say the reason can be easily identified.
We agree about that (the nonsense part).

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If it were ’any’ other car maker I would agree, and if it were ‘any’ other car maker I would not have waited around for almost 4 years because I would know, for sure, that what you are saying is what will come to be.
I'm glad that Tesla gives us a 'heads up' as to what they are developing, before it is fully developed. It helps me understand where a company's product roadmap is going at an early stage. If the finished product needs to be changed, in order to adapt it to learnings along the way, I want them to adapt it, not blindly stick to the anticipated product specs so people didn't say "But, you promised!"

Anyway, if you have decided that 330 miles of range at 60% normal range (about 200 miles), and 55 mph on the highway in 65 degree temperatures is fine, then good for you. It’s just not going to impress a lot of others.
This is where you lose me. Are you trying to equate Cybertrucks anticipated EPA mixed drive cycle range, that was announced at the reveal, with the range at a certain highway speed at a certain temperature? Because that's not what the anticipated range ever meant. It's the range in mixed driving, with all the variables defined by the EPA.

Or, are you implying that we know the EPA range of the Cybertruck will not be as anticipated?

Personally, I take the reveal specs as internal targets and I hope they meet or beat them. I know the actual specs will be revealed before any purchase decision is made, so it's not in Tesla's best interest to talk BS at the reveal. It's also not a given that the released Cybertruck will be exactly as Tesla anticipated. In fact, I would expect there to be reasonable deviations, hopefully mostly for the better.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
It’s all perspective and details. If they do 330 miles at 55 mph in 65 degree weather using 8 rechargeable D cells, I’d be very impressed! I believe most people would be too.

hyperbole noun
hy·per·bo·le hī-ˈpər-bə-(ˌ)lē
: extravagant exaggeration (such as "mile-high ice-cream cones")

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That’s where you fucked up homie
You brought a Chevy……. 😉😂
Or it might be a nearly fifteen year old car that's been discontinued and needs a complete pack rebuild and they quoted him a price that's way over market for even the specialty care, because that shop doesn't do that sort of work.

Just to, you know, get the answer near the sarcasm.

-Crissa

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
and by now it’s fairly clear that promises or not, they’re not all going to be met

and yes, top spec range I think is amongst them
What do you expect the range will be for the tri-motor?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
What do you expect the range will be for the tri-motor?

fat lady hasn’t sung, but at present I expect it to start with a ‘3’

but we still haven’t seen final specs because they’re still trying to squeeze new specs out of them
Sponsored