Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
turo.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS, Model X, Model Y
Country flag
Thank you all for the tips on rail dust. I'm going to try out ProtectaClear when it arrives this week, and my CT is already sitting in this weird LA rain for the next few days. I'll use the clay bar recommendation to clean the surface before doing the Protection layer.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Thank you all for the tips on rail dust. I'm going to try out ProtectaClear when it arrives this week, and my CT is already sitting in this weird LA rain for the next few days. I'll use the clay bar recommendation to clean the surface before doing the Protection layer.
All the best. Please share your results. Hope ProtectaClear resolves your issue.

vertigo3pc

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
turo.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS, Model X, Model Y
Country flag
All the best. Please share your results. Hope ProtectaClear resolves your issue.
I definitely will. While I do like how the patina and softness is already starting to show, I really want shiny and bold.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I definitely will. While I do like how the patina and softness is already starting to show, I really want shiny and bold.
Definitely interested in the results, be great to have a before/during/after pic

Gundo

First Name
Gundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S
Country flag
Makes me really wonder about road salt and magnesium chloride that DOT spreads with gusto all winter long in my part of the country.

I mean, it’s not uncommon for the salt/magchlor soup to sit on my vehicles for days or weeks, especially when it’s too cold for a car wash.

Please tell me these CT panels were tested in such an environment.

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
I'm going to need to see some sort of update as this doesn't make any sense. I can leave raw steel in the rain and any oxidation that occurs simply wipes away.

There is a zero percent chance that Tesla and/or the supplier of the HFS would have dropped the ball on the durability or corrosion resistance.

Last edited:

Aces Deuce's

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5 Comp
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would propose that it is NOT the vehicle. Depending on the environment, metal flakes drifting in the air will attach to the surface and cause rust. It's NOT good, so you should regularly clean the surface. Be wary if you are near a freeway, port, airport, or manufacturing. We were located near a facility that ships out bulk cargo of metal dust. Yes, this is an extreme situation but everything was covered in rust, even our plastic bins. Just my 2 cents...

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag
Just picked up my Cybertruck today. The advisor specifically mentioned the cybertrucks develop orange rust marks in the rain and that required the vehicle to be buffed out. I know I heard the story of never take out your Delorean in the rain but I just never read anything about rust and Cybertrucks. All in all smooth delivery. The first 10 min of driving, the vehicle was pulling hard to the right…I turned around and went back to the service center thinking there was an issue. They scheduled me to a different service center near where I live but after putting on some more miles the pull went away.
Something else that would have been nice to know as they spent the last 4 years developing the truck. They tell us when we get it, I live in PA we have all sorts of weather, now I will need to spend more time working on the finish or get a wrap. More money, my beast IF I get it now, would be 120 min.

Aces Deuce's

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5 Comp
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would propose that it is NOT the vehicle. Depending on the environment, metal flakes drifting in the air will attach to the surface and cause rust. It's NOT good, so you should regularly clean the surface. Be wary if you are near a freeway, port, airport, or manufacturing. We were located near a facility that ships out bulk cargo of metal dust. Yes, this is an extreme situation but everything was covered in rust, even our plastic bins. Just my 2 cents...
Iron Ore...
Sponsored