Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Q3 means MAYBE late September in Tesla speak. I think we will be lucky to see 2,000 trucks coming off the Austin assembly line in 2023. Many of those will be going to Tesla employees and their suppliers.

I fully agree that the BIW will be made from a variety of steel alloys and painted. I don’t think an aluminum BIW would give Tesla the strength the Cybertruck requires. Manufacturing a stainless BIW would be cost prohibitive.

I assume traditional steel stamping presses, jigs and welding robots will be used to assemble the BIW. Nothing groundbreaking from an auto manufacturing standpoint.

Again, we will be lucky to see SOP by September.

It’s great to read Elon‘s enthusiasm for the truck. It’s truly going to be epic.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I think there may be some heavy power going to the front, such as higher amperage plug in the frunk. zoom in on the cable going to the front by the front wheel well. It could be a cable cluster in a protective casing but it looks too smooth for that

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I’m also curious as to how Tesla plans to install the bent SS exterior panels to the front and rear castings. My guess is they will employ the use of industrial strength adhesives for the rear quarter panel sections. Also, will they employ a thinner SS, say 2mm, to save on weight?

It appears that specifications and pricing will be announced during the Cybertruck delivery event. It looks like we will be waiting another 5-months or so unless a leak surfaces from a Tesla contractor or employee.

Tesla Cybertruck Tesla Q1 2023 Earnings Report; Cybertruck Status Maintains "Tooling" Status, Pilot Production Line Photos Shown! 📸 590A3EA6-6505-43A7-BA55-D9063A94E8BF

Last edited:

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
He's not touching anything but the tank sides.
tank.png
That a really nice tank. compared to any other commercial tank I have seen that is crazy clean. I will just start with that. I bet they fabricate it themselves. I am noticing 5 ports on the control assembly there. I bet those are for each of the tires and the onboard air outlet. obviously thats a wild guess.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
Is this guy installing ordnance??!?
It appears to be a welded aluminum tank with a valve manifold and perhaps two push to connect fittings.
Looks like significant Frunk space will be lost to these absolute chonkers!
1681940633503.png

I can't wait to hear another Munroe breakdown on this new suspension shot.
Is this guy installing ordnance??!?
No, unless they fill it with 70 MPa (10 kpsi) H2 like a fools cell.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
In the Q and A he also said the pricing and features won't be shared until the CT hand out at THE END of Q3! Don't expect to get your CT this year.
that's okay..... I'll save more for my purchase by then

Bathbunny

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla first-production Model 3 (LR, RWD, EAP+FSD), red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It appears that there are attachment points for the SS exterior panels on the subframe and bosses on the casting to mount SS panels. The exterior SS panels will be too structurally insignificant to declare this as an exoskeleton as most of the loads will be handled by the castings, structural battery pack and subframe.
However, this is great news for repairs to the exterior panels as they could be replaced easily for minor accidents.
The SS panels form the skin, not an exoskeleton, but Musk clearly prefers the second term, however inaccurate, presumably because it is more exciting... Musk is, after all, a devoted fan of social networks, where ordinary terms are shunned.

Bathbunny

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla first-production Model 3 (LR, RWD, EAP+FSD), red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Been there. Great place to caribou hunt. In fact, my profile photo was taken not too far away.

Glad we finally have some confirmation of testing in Alaska. Why did it take so long to release this photo? Seems like this happened years ago. Although I notice no door handles in the pictured CT. Hmmm.
It could be a recent version tested in the cold, or a picture from 1-2yrs ago with the door handles edited out (pretty easy to do).

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Pilot production line is up and running at Giga Texas
By Joey Klender

Tesla shared a never before seen look-in at the Cybertruck Pilot production line at Giga Texas today.

The Tesla Cybertruck was unveiled in late 2019, and after delays for several years, the automaker is finally ready to start production.

After delays have set the automaker back in finally starting the manufacturing of the all-electric pickup, it appears that after months of tracking action at Giga Texas, including the delivery and installation of production equipment for the Cybertruck, early pilot lines have finally been established and are building early production models.

Some of these early Cybertruck builds have likely been spotted at Tesla events, such as the one that was seen at the recent Investor Day at Giga Texas. The automaker has been somewhat frugal in terms of details about where the Cybertruck stands in terms of manufacturing, but this is by far the most detailed look thus far.

tesla cybertruck pilot line
Credit: Tesla

Tesla also updated Cybertruck production timelines in its Q1 2023 Earnings Shareholder Deck:

“Equipment installation for Cybertruck production at Gigafactory Texas continued in Q1 and remains on track.”

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said during the Q4 2022 and Full Year Earnings Call that Cybertruck production was set to begin in the Summer:

“We do expect production to start sometime this summer, but I always kind of downplay the start of production because the start of production is always very slow.”

In terms of the Cybertruck line itself, Musk recently spent several hours walking the production line at Giga Texas, readying it for early manufacturing phases that will likely see the first units make their way to customers.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-pilot-production-line/

Based on recent sightings in and around Texas and California, the Cybertruck is getting close. Tesla continues to refine the vehicle’s accessories, like its wiper and tonneau. At the same time, Musk and Chief Vehicle Designer Franz von Holzhausen have indicated the company has finalized the design, for the most part, that is.

I’d love to hear from you! If you have any comments, concerns, or questions, please email me at [email protected]. You can also reach me on Twitter @KlenderJoey, or if you have news tips, you can email us at [email protected].

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Front casting first sighting

8982855E-898E-4AEA-AC45-6EAE35729EB2.jpeg

if this is scaled correctl, getting a 37/12.5 on there might be possible but anything taller or wider is likely gonna be very hard to do. I don’t believe a 37/11.5 exists for 20” wheels but maybe someone would make one given the odd sizes they make almost surely for Jeeps and they sell in around the same numbers as the ct.
reasoning: ribbing on rear of front casting. IMO when they benchmarked the raptor or TRX they considered 35s but not the raptor 37
Sponsored