Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Now, did you use some Bar Keepers Friend to determine if it polishes off? I am better it does just like the Delorean owners say it does.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
It is reasons like this that I have quit coming to this site. I am a 70 year old Nam Vet. I’ve heard more complaining against the Cybertruck than I have heard supporting it as something different and unusual. Life is too short to complain about anything. I always look for the positive. To me this site has too much negativity. I only ordered one truck. Against what everyone in my family says, I still intend to go through with my purchase.

ppagainst
A lot of people hate the success Tesla has had because Elon's accomplishments and badassery make their lives look weak and insignificant. So they sit in the peanut gallery and throw shade at Tesla any way they can to make themselves feel better about their pitiful accomplishments. It takes many forms:

It will be too shiny and blind people - dangerous I tell ya!
It's not a real truck, Tesla doesn't know how to build it tough.
It won't work on a job site.
It's not good looking.
The windshield is too flat and will reflect the sun and cause accidents.
The glass roof will be too hot.
It can't tow a gooseneck trailer.
It won't be legal on public roads.
In a crash you will be trapped inside.
In a crash it will not crumple so you will die of g-forces.
It will kill pedestrians too easily.

While I'm at it I'll mention that cold rolled stainless steel is considerably tougher than the same alloy that hasn't been hardened. And it will stand up to abuse about 10 times as well as painted steel.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Every single time I read the thread title, CT scratch and sniff test. What is wrong with me?

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Every single time I read the thread title, CT scratch and sniff test. What is wrong with me?
Did you grow up in the 90s? Haha

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Would the #4 SS finish yield a similar result to the look of the Cybertruck clay model that Tesla built? I love the gray matte finish.

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. CTclaymodel0

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. CTclaymodel1

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
A B4 finished CT would look like a Delorean"s SS panel

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Ok so I'd have to wrap it to get that look.

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 123

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Or have the SS sides refinished

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Or have the SS sides refinished
Nooooooo!
The weathering of stainless steel is so cool and only skin deep. Stainless steel that isn't exposed to extremes like cookware or spacecraft look amazing.
One of the reasons I like this CT art so much.
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 9025f9e2eb1c4061018b3e0b8dfb81bd

Here are some examples of naturally (earth's atmosphere) weathered stainless steel. To be fair, none of these are going to be the same alloy, but the look should be somewhat similar. By definition (been a long time since metallurgy I'm college, so forgive me here if I'm wrong) stainless steel contains at least 11% chromium. Also, stainless steel has only existed for 200 years and was only produced 100 years ago. Even so, many early creations STILL EXIST.
St Louis arch
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. USA Jefferson-2

1936 Ford yes it's original
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. stainlessFord_00_1000

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. architecture-580671_1920
Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. detailmetalchrysls

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Ah, then yes. You'll need to have the CT wrapped.

I'm leaning towards brushing the SS on my CT. I like the look and I really hate scuffs and marks. I should be able to clean up a panel if needed by hand.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I figured I'd do a "key scratch" test on a couple of stainless steel drops.

This is the same B2 finish, .1250" (3mm) thick stainless steel pictured in the beginning of this thread.

Here's a dirty piece of SS

FBEB14FE-3969-46A3-B71E-5C77EC3F4D96.jpeg

Here it is cleaned with cheap cleaning wax spray

9F8551F9-ECE8-4CE2-A494-E8BC7C671278.jpeg

And here is a full blown attempt to scratch the surface with a key

14EA9B74-7B91-4795-B9A8-F896589F5998.jpeg

970C44C8-8524-4F0A-B421-C98CBAB3929C.jpeg

It's very difficult to see in the pictures, but the key marks did not dig into the SS. The key did leave a visible mark, though.

This weekend I'll try to remove these marks with a buffer, but I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome will be.

I hate to be the bearer of reality, but you will see a "key job" plain as day on the CT. Granted, it will not scratch the surface, but will be quite visible.
PERSPECTIVE………..do the key test on your present painted vehicle and send a picture for comments.
Seriously…..I think we will find a coarse grade of wet dry sand paper to touch up minor scratches that won’t polish to a mirror like finish. I would be interesting if you tested different grades of it on you scratch test to see what blended best.
As soon as the CT hits the market we will see scratch removal kits soon to follow.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Ah, then yes. You'll need to have the CT wrapped.

I'm leaning towards brushing the SS on my CT. I like the look and I really hate scuffs and marks. I should be able to clean up a panel if needed by hand.
I am skeptical that manually brushing will look right. I work for a big general contractor and I have come across a couple situations where we need to brush stainless to get a certain finish and our steel subs always say it has to be done by specialized machinery to get it to look right. And they won’t attempt it in the field. I think if you want a good DIY option you should aim for sanding it or a really rough polish.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you get keyed, just run the truck down some really tight forest roads, a good run through thick brush will buff those marks right off. If it doesn't work the first time, just repeat a few times at increasingly higher speeds.
Sponsored