Would you buy the Cybertruck if your number came up in the next month?

Given the current models and prices, would you convert your reservation next month?

• No, I don't have a reservation, just give me the answers,

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Yes! The Cyberbeast.

Votes: 50 22.9%
  • Yes! The AWD.

Votes: 102 46.8%
  • No, I'd wait.

Votes: 55 25.2%
  • No, I'm out.

Votes: 10 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Im way back in line. But i'd wait. I reserved tri and was willing to pay 80k for a 500 mile tri. Id now do the dual 500 mile for 80k, but dual 340 mile for 80k feels like im being taken advantage of. I can well afford it but feel like we're getting screwed both ways by tesla. 63% price increase, 32% range decrease with only 4ws and DbW added.

As another poster mentioned in my 67% thread, Tesla is controling this 100% to make demand slightly more than supply and will adjust as their supply capability increases. I waited this long, i can wait longer especially since i already own new vehicles
Sponsored

Longranger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GTI
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My reservation is from the night of the reveal. I have really NEEDED! A truck for the past 2 years. The Dual is about 10K more expensive than I expected but then again so is the competition, EV and ICE. This whole reveal process is getting real old and annoying. I would take the dual ASAP but may be forced to buy something else by my circumstances.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Given that we have some prices now, and the rebate is going to come upfront next month...
@Scott Beall suggested it.

So let's poll!

I know my situation has changed, but also, the price is higher than I can pay. I can only hope it comes down drastically.

-Crissa
There is a huge part of me that says "wait for the batteries to improve" but there is a huge part of me that says "the CT is great now and no one knows how quickly gen 3 batteries will take", so I would buy it now if offered. I am also happy to wait if it doesn't.

awhehackeur

First Name
Whehack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ES
Occupation
AS Engineer
Country flag
AWD holder here at 900K positions... would take the delivery in a heartbeat if contacted.

If the reservation spreadsheet estimate is somehow correct, I would have at least until late 2026 to get my turn, given the production rate estimate and VIP priority... plenty of time to pitch in more $$$ into TSLA to keep up with inflation and hedge against the future purchase rise or drop.

scottyah

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountaineer
Country flag
I'll pay the $80k for the dual motor to get it sooner, even knowing the price will most likely come down in a couple years. I'm not happy about the price increase, but I've been saving up for four years now and my old rusty clunker is costing more and more to maintain.

Plus, the thing is freaking cool as heck. I'm getting even more pumped the more I learn about the ethernet, steer by wire, 48v architecture, etc.

Other than price and range, I think I'm most sad that it seems like the Cybertruck's SS is not the same as the Starship (I'm sure it's better for actual car use, but still- that was friggin AWESOME to think about)

There were a lot of compromises made that I wouldn't have chosen, but I still don't see any other car that gets close to the CT in term of what I want in a vehicle.

Cons:
  1. price
  2. no access to bed from cabin
  3. range
  4. low visibility from pretty much all angles / tiny windows (why do all modern cars seem to think that 0 windows on the sides is cool?)
  5. small bed
  6. low headroom in back seats
  7. sails and sloped sidewalls really limit a lot of bed access. It'll be like having a hard shell on
Pros:
  • Stainless steel- no more driving a rust bucket for me :D
  • EV stuff (low maintenance, what's a transmission, fast AF, always a "full tank" in the morning, smog testers checking for check engine lights can kick rocks)
  • Tesla Supercharger Network
  • Can drive itself through nasty soul-sucking So Cal traffic on freeways when Weekend Warrior-ing
  • Plenty of haul & tow capability (we'll see how it handles towing a ski boat to AZ once a year)
  • Dat turning radius
  • Plenty of off-roading capability, especially with low center of gravity, no paint to be scratched, removable mirrors to dodge branches, adjustable clearance, when you turn a corner to a straightaway you can just friggin rip that throttle and hit 60 quicker than anything else out there that you'd also feel fine commuting to work in(!!!)
  • Every dollar spent on it is advancing the automobile industry (Steer by wire, 48v, awesome production, proving EVs are great, etc)
  • Lots of improvements to come via software
  • plenty more, but I should get back to work

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I am retired so I am paying for it by selling 1/4 of my tesla stock. If the stock goes to $350 I will buy the AWD, if it goes to $400 I will get the beast.

This may take about 1-2 years so the timing should be right as I am a second day reservation holder.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Thanks @Crissa!

Now Yahoo News can report:

"In a poll of in-touch reservation holders, 72% say that they would purchase the Cybertruck at the announced specifications and prices."

That would have about as much validity as their last poll of 20% of non-reservation holders, but would be great news for TSLA for once.

I'm guessing that we'll have an overall reserved/purchase rate around 40%-50%. Skewing more with the early holders who are hanging in here.

I want to buy the Beast, but I need a few more features/benefits to get me over the hump. It's funny that the Beast improves over the AWD in two opposite use-cases, locking differentials for off-roading, and acceleration for flats. Both ends of the 3rd standard deviation of uses.
Yeah I saw that report, what a joke.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
For my use case I don't think the beast is worth the $20k premium over AWD and definitely not the foundation series at $40k.

The only difference I see is that beast is only 1 second faster to 60 mph. A spec I don't care about along with 1/4 mile time because I'm in SF and not racing ppl in my 7000 lb truck stoplight to stoplight. I know they can cut prob $5k-8k off by mid 2025.

Bluechip506

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Mazda CX9, Mazda Miata
Country flag
I am in at 1129xxxxx and would probably go ahead and get the AWD. I had the Tri on the reservation but that is a bit too much at this point. Unless we find out that the AWD is missing some of the important stuff. I am hoping to hear some reviews from people after a month or two of ownership. My biggest issues that I would like some answers to are front visibility, actual range and charging speed, and just overall driveablilty. A simple test drive would go along way with these questions.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Given that we have some prices now, and the rebate is going to come upfront next month...
@Scott Beall suggested it.

So let's poll!

I know my situation has changed, but also, the price is higher than I can pay. I can only hope it comes down drastically.

-Crissa
I think we have learned a lot from the X and S pricing. Tesla really controls the supply and demand curve. When you have huge popularity and demand you really can control it. I think they were good for a long time selling 25k per year at $100k plus. They were focused on the 3 and Y mass production and didn't believe the masses needed the S and X. Once the Y and 3 were cranking I believe they decided to crank up the S and X sales. And they dropped them around $40k. This wasn't some major manufacturing breakthrough. It was literally Tesla deciding that they wanted to sell more of them. And they went crazy and even got the model x down to the fed tax credit.

I think Tesla is doing exactly what any economics professor would tell them to do. Set a high price and sell as many as you can make until the demand slows. I believe Tesla dumped so much into the Cybertruck and the factory that they have no intent to not really crank the production up. I think the gigapresses will limit them to 250k per year max. The truck world unfortunately has deep pockets in general and a $60k truck isn't unheard of. So I think even at $80k there will be a lot of buyers. And the CT has a huge following, but how many people can actually afford an $80k vehicle. Even at $20k down that's about $1200 per month. In some states that's 1/3 of rent but in some that's equal to another rent payment.

I think tesla will get up to about 75k produced next year on the high side and based on the delivery event Musk doesn't seem too pressed to make the CT a big seller next year. So my guess is numbers stay the same next year and they sell all of them easily. Lets say they are up to 150k per year in 2025. Probably 250k max production by early 2026 and I bet by then they realize the CT demand is strong and they order more gigapresses so they can ramp up to 500k. Noting that the top 3 best selling vehicles in the US are trucks. Hopefully 500k per year by end of 2026

I think they will start to have a lot more competition with multiple trucks scheduled to come out in 2025, but as we have seen the competition is inefficient and struggling to make EVs affordable also, so I don't see much pricing pressure there but there will be some. I think early to mid 2025 is when we will start to see the price drop. Probably $5k to $10k at most. But if the CT comes down to $70k and the tax credit is still alive and gets it down to $63k. I think that is the best price for that all wheel version. I personally wouldn't entertain the single motor. My buddy just bought a new Toyota Tundra with similar specs to the CT (but double the mileage) for $53k. At these price points, the CT is a unicorn and at some point the smelling salts have to come out.

Once the CT starts to get into our hands we will really see what the acceptance rate is and then get a better feel for how long the pricing can hold.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
I reserved a tri about an hour right after the presentation ended in 2019, so if they offered me that I would take it right away, even a Founder’s Ed. (although some frantic last minute fund raising might need to occur), but if they offered me an all-wheel-drive I would take that right away as well, because I reserved a second tri-motor just the other day just in case… Which should give me a few more years to save up if needed.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What happens to a reservation if an order isn't placed immediately once the coveted eMail is received from Tesla?
You slide in position in line.

Until they get to the end, and then they try to cajole you, and then eventually cancel the order. They canceled the RWD model Y orders when they'd been sitting in the queue unconverted for a year. They canceled the Plaid Plus orders before delivery day, but after a couple snafus, allowed them to convert.

So it's hard to tell. They won't wait forever, but you have some time to consider.

-Crissa

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You slide in position in line.

Until they get to the end, and then they try to cajole you, and then eventually cancel the order. They canceled the RWD model Y orders when they'd been sitting in the queue unconverted for a year. They canceled the Plaid Plus orders before delivery day, but after a couple snafus, allowed them to convert.

So it's hard to tell. They won't wait forever, but you have some time to consider.

-Crissa
When i tried to do that with Ford, they said bye Felicia đź‘‹
Sponsored