How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months.

Would you change your reservation to the CT2 ($59,900, 320 miles, 4ws) if the CT3 wait time +18 mo.

• Total voters

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
$49900 didn't have 4ws. I added 20 miles of range because I think they can fit that much in a single layer. With a sprinkle of inflation premium.
A 20% increase in price? For a feature no one asked for? Yeah, people aren't going to stand for that. Check out what happened with Rivian.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
A 20% increase in price? For a feature no one asked for? Yeah, people aren't going to stand for that. Check out what happened with Rivian.
1.) If not mistaken the Rivian deposit was much larger.
2.) Also they didn't increase a major specification - 20% reduction in turning circle/better safety is a pretty big deal)
3.) The time difference between preorder final order was less.
4.) People are accepting inflation as consequence of the pandemic more now than when Rivian made the move.
5.) Rivian was more expensive than it's pier group to start with.
6.) I think people trust Elon's motivations and drive.
7.) In my hypothetical I did throw in a 20 mile range increase.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
You can disagree all you want. The fact of the matter is the CT3 is too good at $69,900 plus some inflation. IT WILL NOT BE BUILT AT VOLUME AT THAT PRICE POINT IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
Cool. That's not what your poll asks. It asks if I'm willing to wait 18 months for an undisclosed price.
Given the options available, yes I am. If in 18 months there is no 500 mile, AWD or 4x4, variant available with a 6.5ft bed for $69,900...then I'll keep waiting and driving my plenty capable ICE truck.
There's Elon's motivation. Get people off ICE. #1 selling vehicles in the US are also the biggest gas guzzlers. I get your point about stock holder profit, but is that his motivation?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You do not know and saying so in all caps won’t change that. So who do you work for, GM? I don’t think that Ford would stoop so low and VW and Toyota aren’t in the game.
No, I hold TSLA stock and I would personally love a CT3 with 4WS for $69,900. Currently my reservation is for the CT2 but it they could hold pricing I would probably upgrade when my turn comes up.

The CT3 will take nearly 3x the batteries of a standard range Y, which are selling like hot cakes for over $60k. Why in the heck would Tesla sell one CT3 with 10% margin over 3 model Y at 30% margin.

Why would Tesla sell a 500 mile range vehicle for nearly 40% less than their highest range flagship model S?

Why the hate bro? I am simply stating my opinion of logical thought process for Tesla. Managerial Accounting 202.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There's a ton of demand, about 1/3rd of the preorders. Raising the price is only going to shrink that pool.

And not only would it damage their brand, it would put them in legal hot water.

-Crissa
No on the legal hot water. Tesla would never enter a contract for $100 and be held to price and specifications for 4 years.

Public relation hit. Maybe/probably It depends on the specification changes and it will take some finely crafted messaging to shape the narrative for the better.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Cool. That's not what your poll asks. It asks if I'm willing to wait 18 months for an undisclosed price.
Given the options available, yes I am. If in 18 months there is no 500 mile, AWD or 4x4, variant available with a 6.5ft bed for $69,900...then I'll keep waiting and driving my plenty capable ICE truck.
There's Elon's motivation. Get people off ICE. #1 selling vehicles in the US are also the biggest gas guzzlers. I get your point about stock holder profit, but is that his motivation?
Your ICE will eventually die or become too expensive to operate. Good luck.

For people that REALLY need to tow, I hope there is a good Plug in Hybrid in the near future. 200 plus Kwhr battery packs don't make much sense at current energy density/cost levels.

Most F150 users only tow over 100 miles on the week end.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Your ICE will eventually die or become too expensive to operate. Good luck.
Sure...eventually, lol. Operating costs are far less then the price of a new vehicle (for about a decade) and if I decide to buy something else if a 500 mile EV truck still isn't available, it will be the right decision for me.

For people that REALLY need to tow, I hope there is a good Plug in Hybrid in the near future. 200 plus Kwhr battery packs don't make much sense at current energy density/cost levels.
What's wrong with F150 powerboost hybrid?

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Sure...eventually, lol. Operating costs are far less then the price of a new vehicle (for about a decade) and if I decide to buy something else if a 500 mile EV truck still isn't available, it will be the right decision for me.

What's wrong with F150 powerboost hybrid?
I believe co2 is a problem. A hybrid gets all power from fossil fuels. A plug in hybrid has the opportunity at least to get some low CO2 miles depending on the mix of the grid which is improving all the time. Currently 40% co2 free nationally give or take a couple %

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No on the legal hot water. Tesla would never enter a contract for $100 and be held to price and specifications for 4 years.

Public relation hit. Maybe/probably It depends on the specification changes and it will take some finely crafted messaging to shape the narrative for the better.
There may be a million reservations.

That makes the court look very sourly on bait and switch. They have to attempt to make something very much like the predicted product and price point. The interest gain on a hundred million dollars stilling in a escrow account is still millions of dollars.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
There may be a million reservations.

That makes the court look very sourly on bait and switch. They have to attempt to make something very much like the predicted product and price point. The interest gain on a hundred million dollars stilling in a escrow account is still millions of dollars.

-Crissa
So if they canceled the CT altogether would. TESLA be obligated to perform?

Could some group bring a case? Would they have some valid points. Yes. Would they win. No. 100% certain.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I am simply stating my opinion
I think this is the problem, at least it is for me. You keep stating your opinions as if they were fact.

The fact of the matter is the CT3 is too good at $69,900 plus some inflation. IT WILL NOT BE BUILT AT VOLUME AT THAT PRICE POINT IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
@ $69,900 there is no 0000 zero incentive for Tesla to make a 500 mile range CT at this time
The CT3 will take nearly 3x the batteries of a standard range Y,
Could some group bring a case? Would they have some valid points. Yes. Would they win. No. 100% certain.
I"m really REALLY certain the sun will come up tomorrow. But I am not 100% certain.

All your opinions and predictions may end up being right. But until we know for sure, stating them as facts is just hard to read. Maybe it's just me. I NEVER use absolutes. :)

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
Tinker, people who pre-ordered don't care about any of those reasons you listed. They pre-ordered at a certain price, they expect delivery at that certain price. Tesla has the rest of the Cybertruck production run to raise prices, but they need to honor their pricing on existing pre-orders.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't need 1,100 HP but I do need 500 miles of range.

-N.ICE
The virtue of having multiple trims is that there 'might' be a trim that suits you (and if not, then you are out of luck). There are features on the tri-motor that I do not need. Hell, I do not need a full-sized pickup, let alone the cargo or towing capacity that they have published. I don't need amazing off-road features (anymore) either. But, like you, I need the 500-mile range. And I need the 3mm stainless. So my trim is tri-motor (or quad) and I will get the features I don't necessarily need. If Tesla were to break all of these features out to individual options or option packages, like all of the legacy auto makers, the price would probably go up. For the price, Tesla provides some pretty amazing functionality and we should be happy about that.
Sponsored