JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So somehow in amphibious mode the midgate seal would be weaker than the doors? There won’t be an amphibious mode. The truck will never be warranted to be submersed in water.
The midgate also has to be safe, so loads can't get into the cab, but as per the casting pictures, it looks like the fixed midgate is also necessary for cabin structure. I think you will be able to sleep in the cabin floor, by folding up the rear seats and sliding the front seats up to the dash. And there will be a amphibious mode, not much more to waterproof, that isn't already waterproof. Submarine mode is a stretch though. 😀
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I like the idea of having access from the cab to the bed for camping or for things such as shown in the Silverado pic (in fact, one of the reasons I reserved one), but I don't like the idea of gravel, sand, etc. getting into my cab. I would need to be careful to keep the midgate up and everything clean most of the time and carefully clean after hauling stuff around ... something I am not terribly good at now.
I really struggle when I read people saying the reason for no midgate could be minor debris getting in the cab. I plan to actually use the truck as a truck and there is always debris getting in my cab already. That’s definitely not a good enough reason in my book. The ability to through 10 or 12’ long items into the truck without having to strap them or flag them would be huge.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The midgate also has to be safe, so loads can't get into the cab, but as per the casting pictures, it looks like the fixed midgate is also necessary for cabin structure. I think you will be able to sleep in the cabin floor, by folding up the rear seats and sliding the front seats up to the dash. And there will be a amphibious mode, not much more to waterproof, that isn't already waterproof. Submarine mode is a stretch though. 😀
So for there to be a mode then Tesla will have to warrantee that feature. I can’t imagine any insurance provider, even Tesla, providing coverage for damage due to extended floating.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So for there to be a mode then Tesla will have to warrantee that feature. I can’t imagine any insurance provider, even Tesla, providing coverage for damage due to extended floating.
Maybe, But both Tesla and insurance could just have a disclaimer. Or it could just work and you can get boat insurance.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I really struggle when I read people saying the reason for no midgate could be minor debris getting in the cab. I plan to actually use the truck as a truck and there is always debris getting in my cab already. That’s definitely not a good enough reason in my book. The ability to through 10 or 12’ long items into the truck without having to strap them or flag them would be huge.
I would prefer a rack for things like that. We all, I am certain, have debris in our cabs. I was really talking about large quantities of crushed rock, sand, soil, or large sharp objects like bricks and pavers falling in. I just saw an intro for the eSilverado that showed a lip at the midgate that would partly mitigate this kind of thing from happening.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Anyone voting no probably hasnt slept in their truck. A decent size midgate would almost instantly make the CT branch into the van market partially.
Voted no. I sleep at least 10 nights a year in my truck. Actually I don't know if I voted. I don't care about the midgate.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Midgate is not a make or break feature for me, nor even that high on the list of 'would really like features'.

I will buy it if there is no midgate, if the window does not rolldown, etc.

The features that are required for me are seats 4 full size adults, gets 300 miles of range, has all wheel drive, has a weather resistant bed (ie, I can store luggage and not have to worry about it getting wet).

Being able to load my motorcycle easier/safer is not a make or break feature, but it is VERY high on the 'would really like to have' feature list.

rlhamil

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Trans Am WS6, 2007 PT Cruiser GT
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Amphibious cars have existed for a long time. They pose challenges because state laws vary; they may not even be legal (at least in boat mode) in all states, and some states might require both automobile and boat registration (and insurance?). A capable independent insurance agent could probably figure it out, assuming amphibious use is legal in your state.

I'd expect that if the Cybertruck can do it, it's a more infrequent use scenario. But it does have one advantage for sure: older amphibious cars like the Amphicar (a former neighbor had an old partly restored one) had rust problems, esp. if taken in even weaker salt water (like a bay), while with the metal on the Cybertruck being either stainless steel or aluminum, if it's watertight enough, it would tend to take less damage than a non-stainless steel body vehicle would.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Looks like the Ram Revolution is trying to take this a step farther (for really long boards, pipes, etc) by stretching it from the frunk all the way thru the truck bed.

RAM TRACK RAIL SYSTEM

Running across the cabin floor and stretching into the frunk and truck bed, this in-floor rail system grants numerous cabin configurations and flexibility for hauling a wide variety of cargo. Addressing the desire for more cargo space, this new innovation enhances the modern utility of electric trucks.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/revolution/concept.html
Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate obwcqRb

Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate DFlLAzv

Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate Py6jgJY

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
RAM will do its best to remain an option for their loyal customers.

As it stands, Cybertruck sales will not be impacted. There is enough backorder to keep busy.

If RAM doesn't deliver as promised, those buyers who waited may switch over to other choices.

IMO, the over promises are only there to preach to the converted, and will serve only to disappoint them later.

If anything, they could be positioning themselves as a niche even higher end product.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
As it stands, Cybertruck sales will not be impacted. There is enough backorder to keep busy.
I'm not sure about that point with all the factors in play since that started 3+ years ago (Nov 2019).
  • It was only $100 to get a "reservation" for a Cybertruck, and it was at old low prices. Consequently, they are certainly inflated and with new prices per Elon (plus lower TSLA), I really wonder how many will follow through with orders.
  • Since then more information has come out about competitors, with Ford and Rivian already delivering.
  • The production Silverado EV and RAM Revolution info ('details') are just coming out.
At this point, it seems like the Cybertruck is not nearly as impressive because of these other vehicles' features and functionality (work and play features).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm not sure about that point with all the factors in play since that started 3+ years ago (Nov 2019).
  • It was only $100 to get a "reservation" for a Cybertruck, and it was at old low prices. Consequently, they are certainly inflated and with new prices per Elon (plus lower TSLA), I really wonder how many will follow through with orders.
  • Since then more information has come out about competitors, with Ford and Rivian already delivering.
  • The production Silverado EV and RAM Revolution info ('details') are just coming out.
At this point, it seems like the Cybertruck is not nearly as impressive because of these other vehicles' features and functionality (work and play features).
If Tesla delivers a lineup that has the features they announced at launch and prices roughly inline with launch prices (inflation adjusted). Demand for the Cybertruck will be through the roof.

You seem to be assuming that either prices will be much higher than inflation, the features of the truck will not match launch, or both.

It is possible, but seems pretty unlikely they will miss on both. Tesla has a good track record of delivering on launch features. Also Musk‘s made comments on multiple occasions about how important affordability is in the truck so I don’t think they are going to miss on price by much either.
Sponsored