Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
It's not a deal breaker for me if it's there, I won't say "I don't want the CT." I could care less about it, so if it's there then so be it, yet another feature. But it seems some midgaters consider it deal breaker if not there.
I agree, except we all know they're going to buy it, midgate or not.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Right now, the Soyuz is the most reliable human-rated spacecraft.

But the Space Shuttle put more people more days in orbit.

And right now, a Soyuz is failing in orbit. Dragon may take its title, soon. Orion is unlikely to, for the infrequency of flights, but it literally needs to be, for going outside the Van Allen belts.

Even if something seems impractical, or lower reliability, doesn't mean that it won't actually outperform the tried and true.

-Crissa
My prediction. Starship will pass them in all in 2024 - 2025.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I wonder if it were implemented differently, whether people would be more likely to want it.

Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate 295f1b900183788dc?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=web

Tesla Cybertruck Let's get down to the real or imagined demand for a Midgate -multi-flex-midgate-tailgate-dimensions-1641396996

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am a little confused here. The bulk of CT weight is in the battery and in the rear due to that casting. But Elon said the CT could be used as a boat with an electric motor in back. So the bed will have to be water tight for a while and that would suggest that a leaky midgate isn’t so much of an issue. It isn’t that I care one wait or another as long as there is some kind of access between the cab and bed but I just don’t understand the argument.
A midgate shouldn't be exposed to flood waters unless something has gone terribly wrong.

However, it would be faced with collected rain and cargo.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My prediction. Starship will pass them in all in 2024 - 2025.
I realized I didn't mention it before I got to your post...

The thing is, since Starship is starting with bulk cargo, they have time to dial in the reliability.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I realized I didn't mention it before I got to your post...

The thing is, since Starship is starting with bulk cargo, they have time to dial in the reliability.
SpaceX is really cranking up production at this point. Once they start flying and establish a cadence, they are going to prove themselves very quickly. Or explode a bunch.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
SpaceX is really cranking up production at this point. Once they start flying and establish a cadence, they are going to prove themselves very quickly. Or explode a bunch.
NOw NOw. Lets use the proper rocketry terminology. NOT explosion or exploded or explody.

A few Starships or boosters might experience a rapid dis-assembly.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I wonder if it were implemented differently, whether people would be more likely to want it.

295f1b900183788dc?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp.jpg

-multi-flex-midgate-tailgate-dimensions-1641396996.png
I like the idea of having access from the cab to the bed for camping or for things such as shown in the Silverado pic (in fact, one of the reasons I reserved one), but I don't like the idea of gravel, sand, etc. getting into my cab. I would need to be careful to keep the midgate up and everything clean most of the time and carefully clean after hauling stuff around ... something I am not terribly good at now.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Is this a common problem with midgates? I want one for easy camping and access for the kids and dog to go in the back at supercharger stops... Though these will likely not be too short with the 1000v architecture to have the same king of recharging fun we currently have on trips.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's not a deal breaker for me if it's there, I won't say "I don't want the CT." I could care less about it, so if it's there then so be it, yet another feature. But it seems some midgaters consider it deal breaker if not there.
How much less could you care about it? I'm trying to figure out how much it is you do care about it. Lol jk. I saw someone on The Platform We Do Not Speak About (Twitter) go on a tirade about that phrase.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I find it ironic that the person who complains most about midgate conversations just made a thread which spawns one.
I found it hilarious I did it as well, and I've been regretting it ever since. Cursing every time I get a notification someone responded to this damn thread! :ROFLMAO:

Next time, impulse control. I swear.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I found it hilarious I did it as well, and I've been regretting it ever since. Cursing every time I get a notification someone responded to this damn thread! :ROFLMAO:

Next time, impulse control. I swear.
If it’s any help. I think your main point: That most people are not super excited about the midgate is valid. It’s a vocal and enthusiastic minority making a lot of noise. And a bunch of us in the middle who are intrigued but cautious about potential gotchas.
Sponsored