First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
1627345554798.png

I hadn't really thought about it, but are these tanker trucks the closest thing to the finish we're going to see on the Cybertruck? Less poop inside for some of us...

gphenix

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75th Anniversary Jeep Grand Cherokee, MERCEDES AMG SLC43
Country flag
And do what...sue them for money...? for how much....? Well if that can't be buffed out by any means, then what's the solution....? Total the car...??? :D
It is reasons like this that I have quit coming to this site. I am a 70 year old Nam Vet. I’ve heard more complaining against the Cybertruck than I have heard supporting it as something different and unusual. Life is too short to complain about anything. I always look for the positive. To me this site has too much negativity. I only ordered one truck. Against what everyone in my family says, I still intend to go through with my purchase.

ppagainst

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
I figured I'd do a "key scratch" test on a couple of stainless steel drops.

This is the same B2 finish, .1250" (3mm) thick stainless steel pictured in the beginning of this thread.

Here's a dirty piece of SS

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. FBEB14FE-3969-46A3-B71E-5C77EC3F4D96

Here it is cleaned with cheap cleaning wax spray

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 9F8551F9-ECE8-4CE2-A494-E8BC7C671278

And here is a full blown attempt to scratch the surface with a key

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 14EA9B74-7B91-4795-B9A8-F896589F5998

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 970C44C8-8524-4F0A-B421-C98CBAB3929C

It's very difficult to see in the pictures, but the key marks did not dig into the SS. The key did leave a visible mark, though.

This weekend I'll try to remove these marks with a buffer, but I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome will be.

I hate to be the bearer of reality, but you will see a "key job" plain as day on the CT. Granted, it will not scratch the surface, but will be quite visible.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Running your hand over the scratches do you feel impressions of the markings or is it merely visible?

Regardless, this won’t dissuade me from getting a Cybertruck. Mine is to be used, not a garage queen. Battle scars will just tell the story.

OP
OP

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Running your hand over the scratches do you feel impressions of the markings or is it merely visible?

Regardless, this won’t dissuade me from getting a Cybertruck. Mine is to be used, not a garage queen. Battle scars will just tell the story.
I cannot feel anything in the surface using my finger nail.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag

This is the same B2 finish, .1250" (3mm) thick stainless steel pictured in the beginning of this thread.

FBEB14FE-3969-46A3-B71E-5C77EC3F4D96.jpeg

9F8551F9-ECE8-4CE2-A494-E8BC7C671278.jpeg

14EA9B74-7B91-4795-B9A8-F896589F5998.jpeg

970C44C8-8524-4F0A-B421-C98CBAB3929C.jpeg

It's very difficult to see in the pictures, but the key marks did not dig into the SS. The key did leave a visible mark, though.

This weekend I'll try to remove these marks with a buffer, but I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome will be.

I hate to be the bearer of reality, but you will see a "key job" plain as day on the CT. Granted, it will not scratch the surface, but will be quite visible.
Thank you for sharing. Pretty cool. I honestly did not think it would be so visible, but like MEDICALJMP, it won’t sway my decision.
Won’t be no garage queen for me either. She is going to take me all over the United States first! Then, outside. I need a TOUGH vehicle for this and she is PERFECT!

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag

FBEB14FE-3969-46A3-B71E-5C77EC3F4D96.jpeg

9F8551F9-ECE8-4CE2-A494-E8BC7C671278.jpeg

14EA9B74-7B91-4795-B9A8-F896589F5998.jpeg

970C44C8-8524-4F0A-B421-C98CBAB3929C.jpeg

Appears to have just removed the chromium oxide layer. The white foggy layer on the surface of SS should come back with time and exposure to oxygen--passivation.

Try just leaving it out and use gentle soap and water after about a week. I wonder if that scratch will fade.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Given that 2B is steel straight off the roller, and any of the other options require an extra brushing and/or polishing step, I feel Elon would prefer the 2B if it can be maintained in a sufficiently pristine state through the manufacturing process. That means fewer steps and Elon is all about cutting out unnecessary steps in production.
If, however, the manufacturing process leads to parts needing to be polished after bending and/or welding they would probably take the whole truck through a final polish step that will probably leave it looking like #4.

In any case, brushing the metal after you have the truck in your possession to achieve any other level of brushedness/polish can surely be done by any metal worker or even DIY with some care and practice.

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
It is reasons like this that I have quit coming to this site. I am a 70 year old Nam Vet. I’ve heard more complaining against the Cybertruck than I have heard supporting it as something different and unusual. Life is too short to complain about anything. I always look for the positive. To me this site has too much negativity. I only ordered one truck. Against what everyone in my family says, I still intend to go through with my purchase.
ppagainst
Thank you for your service, SIR.... but the statement was meant as a joke. Not at all a serious question. FWIW, there's no point in shunning an entire website, just because you didn't like some people's questions. We would love to hear from you for a long time, especially posing with your Cybertruck photos.
Sponsored