Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
It’s all speculation at this point.

My guess is the body will be 3mm thick SS panels for the outside areas that you can see and touch and thinner SS that can be stamped for the inner door shells, etc. The B-pillars will need to be strong for rollover and side impact protection. I predict a lot of industrial structural adhesives will be used for exoskeleton assembly similar to the aviation industry.

The monocoque exoskeleton assembly techniques is one area that I am super interested in. I am looking forward to viewing a future Sandy Monroe and Associates tear down of the CT on YouTube.

Tesla Cybertruck This may be Cybertruck's 2B stainless steel. Updated Scratch and Sniff* test. 101DCDC1-6780-44A4-9A77-C5F82D31DD32

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Isn't it obvious they will lay out the components to minimize scrap as much as possible? Whatever scrap there is they will send to the recyclers (probably using a Tesla semi) to be turned into new products. Even ICE manufacturers recycle as much as possible because it reduces costs.
I could see a small market of using the scrap metal to make trinkets. I would buy a keychain made of 3mm stainless. Wait… keychain no longer needed… Hmmm. Bottle opener?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I could see a small market of using the scrap metal to make trinkets. I would buy a keychain made of 3mm stainless. Wait… keychain no longer needed… Hmmm. Bottle opener?
Give Cybertruck scrap keychains to the million plus people who won’t get their truck info the first year!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Give Cybertruck scrap keychains to the million plus people who won’t get their truck info the first year!
“And this is what my truck is going to be made of…. Isn’t it cool!”

Just what my friends and family want. Another talking point for me go to on and on about.

Would love to have a chunk of CT AND a chuck of F150 to show as a comparison.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Just what my friends and family want. Another talking point for me go to on and on about.

For the Ford, there are aluminum cans all over my house, I can send you a couple.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

I like it. I've already got a piece of Cybertruck steel, for the FU150 piece all I need to do is walk outside and bend off a piece of my '03 rustmobile Lariat. Perfect!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Aluminum body 2016 F150 rollover accident.

I find it troubling when non-engineers with no data as to the forces involved (every accident is different) starts opining on the merits of crash-worthiness of a steel vs. aluminum bodied truck based on "sharp edges" when the one with sharp edges left the cab intact while it looks like the Chevy might have decapitated any back seat passengers. I'm not going to form an opinion on which is better but it's baffling how he concludes the one with the crushed cab fared better.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I find it troubling when non-engineers with no data as to the forces involved (every accident is different) starts opining on the merits of crash-worthiness of a steel vs. aluminum bodied truck based on "sharp edges" when the one with sharp edges left the cab intact while it looks like the Chevy might have decapitated any back seat passengers. I'm not going to form an opinion on which is better but it's baffling how he concludes the one with the crushed cab fared better.
Maybe he "did his own research"..... :)

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
You do?

What is the alloy and the hardness spec?
Lemme backpedal here. I ordered a 5"x5"x3mm thick piece of cold rolled 304 SS plate off the web. I wish I could say I got it from the scrap pile behind Giga Texas, but no. I wanted to have a close representation of CT in my hand. I'm lovin' it!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Lemme backpedal here. I ordered a 5"x5"x3mm thick piece of cold rolled 304 SS plate off the web. I wish I could say I got it from the scrap pile behind Giga Texas, but no. I wanted to have a close representation of CT in my hand. I'm lovin' it!
Cool. Do you know what hardness spec you ordered? I bet it cost quite a bit considering how tiny it is. I looked for small pieces but gave up.
Sponsored