Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
Tesla delays initial production of Cybertruck to early 2023 -source

Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/...tion-cybertruck-early-2023-source-2022-01-13/

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 13, 2022 6:54 PM EST (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) aims to start initial production of its much-anticipated Cybertruck by the end of the first quarter of 2023, pushing back its plan to begin production late this year, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday.

The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment.

Tesla is expected to make limited production of the Cybertruck in the first quarter of 2023 before increasing output, the source said.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Tesla, the world's top electric car maker, makes electric sedans and sport utility vehicles but has missed out on the pickup truck segment, which is profitable and hugely popular in America.

Ford Motor Co (F.N) and Rivian Automotive (RIVN.O) are ahead of Tesla in launching electric pickups.

Ford said early this month it will nearly double annual production capacity for its red-hot F-150 Lightning electric pickup to 150,000 vehicles ahead of its arrival this spring at U.S. dealers.

Ford's market value breached $100 billion for the first time on Thursday when Tesla shares fell 6.7% and Rivian slumped 7.1%. read more

CEO Elon Musk, who unveiled the futuristic vehicle in 2019, had already delayed its production from late 2021 to late 2022.

Musk has said he will provide an updated product road map on Tesla's Jan. 26 earnings call.

"Oh man, this year has been such a supply chain nightmare & it's not over!," he tweeted in late November, when asked about the Cybertruck.

Tesla recently removed a reference to its production schedule from its Cybertruck order website. Last month, the website said, "You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022." Now "in 2022" has been omitted.

Tesla plans to produce the Cybertruck at its factory in Texas, which is expected to start production of Model Y cars early this year.
Just more time to save and buy more stock to pay for a downpayment.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Materially, I read this as not much has changed since we've heard any direct info from Tesla / Elon regarding production-start. Most recent info before this article was limited run in H2 2022 or Q2 2022 with ramp up in 2023. I guess it's a slow news day which can actually be a good thing.

Personally I'm fine with all of this if it means an even better Cybertruck. I'm going Plaid so it's more time to save too!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Anonymous sources of nonspecific information are not good sources.

-Crissa
I do not think this group, at least not I, need to hear this kind of crap. They have had 3 years at the end of this year to design and develop a compelling vehicle if they actually cared. What is particularly surprising about the statement is that Elon never seemed to put any emphasis on whether the CT would be compelling or even whether anyone would like it. I believed him when he said they had to wait for batteries and HW 4, but i don't buy the 'compelling' argument at all.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do not think this group, at least not I, need to hear this kind of crap. They have had 3 years at the end of this year to design and develop a compelling vehicle if they actually cared. What is particularly surprising about the statement is that Elon never seemed to put any emphasis on whether the CT would be compelling or even whether anyone would like it. I believed him when he said they had to wait for batteries and HW 4, but i don't buy the 'compelling' argument at all.
We’re supposed to be getting an update in a few days.

If they update doesn’t materialize or it’s disappointing, then I can see getting (more) upset.

Getting angry and arguing about a rumor when we should have confirmation in literally days just seems like a pointless waste of energy.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We’re supposed to be getting an update in a few days.

If they update doesn’t materialize or it’s disappointing, then I can see getting (more) upset.

Getting angry and arguing about a rumor when we should have confirmation in literally days just seems like a pointless waste of energy.
I agree with you of course. I was complaining that this whole thing is being blown out f proportion. It doesn't make sense.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree with you of course. I was complaining that this whole thing is being blown out f proportion. It doesn't make sense.
Could be FUD, or it could be a leak to soften another pushout of the timeline. If you look at it without emotion, the details we have would point to it being later that last update. 4680 production is likely the main reason, with supply chain constraints and overall GigaTexas build out being the other. We also have not even seen a final design. It's very unlikely that production is close to ready but we haven't seen final beta type vehicles in higher quantities.

I will set my delivery expectations based on what we see, not any predictions even from Elon. He said all along they will ramp MY in Texas first, then CT. So order of operations is ramp 4680, ramp MY, ramp CT. So far we are still waiting to ramp 4680. That tells me CT in 2022 is pretty unlikely.

Just my 2 cents.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Could be FUD, or it could be a leak to soften another pushout of the timeline. If you look at it without emotion, the details we have would point to it being later that last update. 4680 production is likely the main reason, with supply chain constraints and overall GigaTexas build out being the other. We also have not even seen a final design. It's very unlikely that production is close to ready but we haven't seen final beta type vehicles in higher quantities.

I will set my delivery expectations based on what we see, not any predictions even from Elon. He said all along they will ramp MY in Texas first, then CT. So order of operations is ramp 4680, ramp MY, ramp CT. So far we are still waiting to ramp 4680. That tells me CT in 2022 is pretty unlikely.

Just my 2 cents.
I think we would all agree there will be supply chain issues for a while. I would understand a slower ramp. Surely they could come up with enough parts for 1000-2000 units per month until things settle out. Most of the factory at this point is a sunk cost, probably half the equipment is purchased as well. It would take a lot of bean counters to figure out the break even point between a slow ramp vs no ramp vs lost sales to others.

I really want to see the final design, configurations, options and anticipated price.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
No Kidding! CT never had any chance at production in 2021. Even getting a few out in 2022 always seemed doubtful. In an interview a couple months ago Musk all but confirmed this when he said Tesla wouldn't spend a $million per vehicle to get a new vehicle out for a deadline.
You'd have to be pretty delusional to miss all the evidence of sales not happening this year. The CT4 is going to be produced first yet no one even has a preorder for it yet.

verinder

First Name
verinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
toyota yaris
Occupation
truck drniver
Country flag
I hope this is bullshit, I'm running out of hope!
SO AM I..... THEY NEED TO GET STARTED WITH THE PRODUCTION MY FIRST RESERVATION WAS FOR MODEL 3 ..WHAT A NIGHTMARE NOW CT.. I HOPE WE GET SOME GOOD NEWS ABOUT PRODUCTION

richardlpaul

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I hope this is wrong or if it is right, the ramp of fast. I won’t be able to wait that long. I’ll need to look elsewhere for a truck. I’m retiring in 2023 and want to start my adventures by 2024.

Frank Mendez

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3, mkzh, f150
Occupation
sales
Country flag
So help me guess at the rate of production of the Cybertruck. The model Y is 1600 per day at Shanghai. That is from September. If the truck does not need to be painted and the body is formed from steel, how many trucks can roll out of Austin per day?
Sponsored