How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months.

Would you change your reservation to the CT2 ($59,900, 320 miles, 4ws) if the CT3 wait time +18 mo.

• Total voters

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The Model S will recharge faster and discharge less fast. It will take a bit for those 4680s to catch up to a mature battery with a tweaked chemistry and experienced charge curves.

-Crissa
Completely agree. A couple of route checks on https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ will show way less time spent charging on a road trip with a Model S vs any version of the Cybertruck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The Model S will recharge faster and discharge less fast. It will take a bit for those 4680s to catch up to a mature battery with a tweaked chemistry and experienced charge curves.

-Crissa
I think most of us are assuming the next generation 4680 with dry electrode technology on the anode will go into the CT. These will have characteristics similar or better to existing 2170/1865 of today if not better.

I keep crossing my fingers that Tesla will release more capacity on the existing 4680 model Y, otherwise the pack density/negative mass? of the structural packs is disappointing.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think most of us are assuming the next generation 4680 with dry electrode technology on the anode will go into the CT. These will have characteristics similar or better to existing 2170/1865 of today if not better.

I keep crossing my fingers that Tesla will release more capacity on the existing 4680 model Y, otherwise the pack density/negative mass? of the structural packs is disappointing.
Lots of the stuff from Battery Day is not present. We’re still not on a fully dry battery process.

Remains to be seen if we get all the goodies at launch or later on.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If I can summarize and conclude on the high power, statistically significant poll (57 entries) and other conservative well accepted knowledge.

1.) More people were going to order the CT2 anyway.
2.) The CT2 will require ~40% less batteries per unit than the CT3.
3.) At latest advertised prices the CT would be a amazing value compared to the broader EV market.
4.) Of the people who want/can afford the CT3 given the choice to downgrade or wait:
a.) 30% would be resigned to wait if necessary.
b.) 28% would upgrade to the Plaid anyway up to $120K (likely improving their receipt order)
c.) <7% would walk away or seriously look around
d.) 35% would downgrade and pay up to $59,900 for a CT2 considering 20 miles more range, 4ws and 2 years of unexpected inflation) in order to get theirs 18 months plus earlier.
5.) The margin on a model Y is around 25%.
6.) The CT3 will have at least a 180 kWhr pack
7.) The 4680 Y standard range has ~ 60kWhr pack.
8.) Tesla could produce 3 model Y for every 1 CT3 with limited batteries.
9.) Using 25% average margin (CT3 likely lower) $65000x3x.25 = $49k gross profit for selling 3 model Y, $70k x .25 = $17.5 k gross profit for selling one CT3.
10) In a battery constrained 2024. Producing a $70k CT3 is bad business for Tesla.
11.) More units sold = more takers on FSD or EAP = higher profits.
12.) More EV units sold = fewer ICE miles.

Might as well start with the CT2 and Plaid, price all models to beat the competition and make a fair profit to support the broader mission. Thread the needle.

Tesla Cybertruck How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months. 1659470525068

Tesla Cybertruck How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months. 1659470776028

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
No, I hold TSLA stock and I would personally love a CT3 with 4WS for $69,900. Currently my reservation is for the CT2 but it they could hold pricing I would probably upgrade when my turn comes up.

The CT3 will take nearly 3x the batteries of a standard range Y, which are selling like hot cakes for over $60k. Why in the heck would Tesla sell one CT3 with 10% margin over 3 model Y at 30% margin.

Why would Tesla sell a 500 mile range vehicle for nearly 40% less than their highest range flagship model S?

Why the hate bro? I am simply stating my opinion of logical thought process for Tesla. Managerial Accounting 202.
You need to go back and take 303. If Tesla can add $10,000 worth of batteries, $5,000 worth of motors and other parts, and charge $30,000+ extra for each vehicle, they would be stupid not to.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
So if they canceled the CT altogether would. TESLA be obligated to perform?

Could some group bring a case? Would they have some valid points. Yes. Would they win. No. 100% certain.
You read and understood the Preorder agreement. Others are just stating what they'd like to happen.
Let's say Tesla sales a million Cybertrucks before the decade ends. For each thousand dollars per Cybertruck selling below what the market will support, Tesla loses a billion dollars. That would likely push off the U.S. division of Tesla from reporting its first annual profit several more years. After 2 decades I think it's time for Tesla to do what it takes to become profitable in its country of origin.
Yes, I'm a shareholder as well.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
They'd take a huge reputation hit and no, but they might be party to 'lost chances' lawsuits from buyers and competitors. By offering the reservations, they sucked up the available oxygen (buyers) that prevented the competition from breathing (getting sales).

-Crissa
No one has a reservation for a Cybertruck yet. Preorder terms make it 100% clear no price or production of the Cybertruck is guaranteed. No lawsuit has any chance at all. Please be serious and go reread your preorder agreement before making up nonsense repetitively.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
One of my first lessons.: It is easy to dial up. Any idiot can do it.

Tesla Cybertruck How many CT3 reservation holders would change to a CT2 if only CT2 were produced for the first 18 months. 1659500780435

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Dry battery gets us more batteries from a factory, not better batteries, tho.

You said you didn't know why someone would choose a Model S aside from 'sedan'. Well, there's lots of basic, practical from point A to B reasons. Not just zippy fun ones.

Last I checked the price was gone and it was never guaranteed.
Last I checked, people ordering now were somewhere behind five years' worth of production. So their price is unconnected from the launch price.

No one has a reservation for a Cybertruck yet. Preorder terms make it 100% clear...
...That Tesla considers these pre-orders. All pre-orders have the language that they can be canceled at any time.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You need to go back and take 303. If Tesla can add $10,000 worth of batteries, $5,000 worth of motors and other parts, and charge $30,000+ extra for each vehicle, they would be stupid not to.
So you accept a $30,000 price increase on the CT3? That changes things.
I don't think the price change should or will be that much for the CT3 for many reasons, but you can take the flack from the disappointed CT3 res holders.

The Plaid is more of an ego thing. Rational thought to determine value is less important. Exclusiveness and top tier performance prevails.

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
Answer this question from the perspective of a CT3 reservation holder or CT2 holder thinking about upgrading to a CT3, knowing the following:

This CT2 has a range of 320 miles and 4ws and the 2023 price listed is $59,900. The future CT3 price is not known yet but it won't be available to START production for 18 months after the CT2 starts.

Tesla will also make a quad motor Plaid during this period with a list price of $120,000 and acceleration of 2.4 and range of 500 miles and some other smaller gimmicks.

All CT3 reservations will be offered the chance to switch and keep their overall place in line.

The CT1 is still planned to be offered but also with undisclosed price and 18 plus months additional wait.
Just wondering where you got all these guesstimate numbers and fictional designations from from? Elon dreams? :rolleyes:

CT1/CT2/CT3/Plaid designations aren't a Cybertruck thing?

18-Months this and that says who?

$120k Plaid/Quad Price?
Sponsored

Last edited: